Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BUTT

Options
Beast
Beast Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a butt on that has been on now for about 4hrs and 30mins. according to the thermometer the butt is at 147 degrees and the grid is at 208 degrees and the dome is about 220 degrees do i pull the butt off the egg at 200 degrees no matter how long it has been on or do i wait it out and pull after so many hours and if so when do i pull it off the egg thanks
Beast

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Beast,[p]It's going to be a while. You wait until the internal meat temperature is 195º - 200º You still have to go through the plateau which can take 4, 5, 6 or more hours. The temp won't budge and you're going to think something is wrong with your thermometer.
  • RustyEgg
    Options
    Beast,
    You want to take it off when the temp hits 200, regardless of the time. It's all about the internal temp not the time.[p]Afterwards wrap in foil and let rest for about 1/2 hour before pulling.[p]Enjoy![p]RustyEgg

• Beast
    Options
    RustyEgg,
    Thanks for that info.
    should i put it in the fridge because it's not going to be eaten until tomorrow

• Beast
    Options
    Sundown,
    Thanks.. i keep watching the temp holding steady so far it's nice not to have to run out to the grill every few mins to check on the temp.. now i can do it from the comfort of my chair...lol egging is good

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Beast,[p]Like sundown said, you got a long time before that sucker is done. Maybe as much as 10-12 more hours.[p]If it is done more than 5 hours before you plan to eat - let it rest for 30-45 minutes, pull, then refrigerate. It can hold for 5 hours wrapped in foil/towels/cooler.[p]Good luck.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Beast,[p]Your ratio of actual cooking temp to finish temp is really close to 1:1. That butt will take a long time to get there with those conditions. I would get the pit up higher for the rest of the cook. The upside is, you have developed a wonderful smoke flavor in the first 4-1/2 hours. [p]~thirdye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Beast
    Options
    thirdeye,
    What would you reccomend that i take the temp up to? looking at the thermometer now the butt is at 151 and the grid is at 204 think i need to go and open the vents some also i have read posts that mention using COKE in pulled pork would you suggest this also and if so how to apply that to my butt once it's done thanks
    Beast

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Beast,[p]I would run the Egg up to 275° dome. This will put the grate around 250°. The plateau should break out before 170°. It's a good idea to wrap a butt in foil and rest inside a dry cooler for an hour or two before pulling. This lets all of the natural juices equalize. [p]Coke, apple juice or broth along with some of the juices from that foil pouch are great adders to the pork after it is pulled. They help when it is reheated.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Beast
    Options
    thirdeye,
    I just opened the vents up some and the temp is slowly climbing the dome is about 270° and the grid is about 246°
    so i'm going to hold it there and wait thanks for all you assistance

• RustyEgg
    Options
    Beast,
    If you're not going to eat until tomorrow I'd do as Fidel suggests...after pulling, put it in the fridge until dinner time.[p]RustyEgg

• Beast
    Options
    well the BUTT is off the egg it came off after 12hrs and the thermometer read 200° i wrapped it in foil & towels and it has been in the cooler since 0430 is that too long to be in there should i remove it now and put in the fridge??
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Beast,[p]It can hold in the cooler for 4-5 hours easily.