Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For all you newbies out there

Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had my fire burning for over 30 minutes tonight before I put the chicken on and it still tasted smoky. It was dark so I couldn't actually see the smoke, but I could smell it. Was in a hurry and couldn't wait any longer.[p]I also had trouble getting the temp stable at 400. after 10 minutes it was 300 . I checked at 13 minutes and it was about 550 and climbing, beautiful flames shooting out the chimney, so I shut it down till it was close to 400 and I cracked the draft door and opened the chimney. [p]Then it stayed at 350. Then I opened the door a little more to get it to about 425 and went in to get the chicken. when I came back it was close to 500.[p]I finally just put them on and got it to hover between 450 and 500[p]Somedays things just ain't gonna go right no matter what.
The chicken came out good, though the kids didn't like it. One of 'em really tried but the smoke was too much.[p]Also, get welder's gloves. They're real handy when your fire is hot, especially if you're not expecting it to be that hot.[p] The Egg does look cool at night with flames blasting out the top!.

Comments

• Flashback Bob,
    I had just the opposite happening tonight
    I was trying to get te egg up to 700 degrees and although I had flames shooting out the top it took forever to heat the egg up to 700 degrees on the thermometer....it must be a full moon[p]oh well lucky for us there is always tomorrow and the egg will not complain about being used again then[p]Jan

• Metalhead,
    That's happened to me too!
    May have been the lump, but it took a long time to get started and once it did, it didn't want to stay put!

• Flashback Bob, another tip for newbies to go along with the gloves, when you lift a hot plate setter out of the egg, have a spot close by in mind to put the plate setter. I have Orka gloves, and even with those your hand gets hot very quickly.0
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    IMG_00611.jpg
    <p />Flashback Bob,
    as an architect I'll bet you have a hard hat or two in your possession. How about turning the inside head crown around so the bill is in the back and then bolting a high power (4 AA batteries) head lamp to it and PREST-O everywhere you look at night there is a bright light! [p]PS...as for the nature of your post...I forgot! LOL

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    RRP,
    bob already looks like a dork. he doan need no help.[p](said stike, now in trouble with the both of you)

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • RRP,
    is that a hoover dam hardhat tour hat?

• Flashback Bob,
    As a newbie I found out real quick that some sort of glove would be nice. I had a hot fire and did the burp thing but still had some flames and hot smoke come out on my hand when I opened the lid. I am now using an oven mit until someone makes fun of me and I have to go buy a more manly glove.

• NUMAN,
    Welders Gloves are Good and Manly.
    The only thing I can't do while wearing them is remove the ceramic chimney cap. (When you want to resume the fire after you shut it down for being too hot).[p]My neighbors look out at night, seeing the bright flames shooting out the chimney, me in my welders gloves - they think I'm smelting ore.