Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck Roast

Options
Chef Arnoldi
Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
anyone make a Chuck roast ?
Please give Method.
thanks

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    chuck2.jpg
    <p />Chef Arnoldi,[p]You picked a tough cut of meat to do much with. The chuck roast was one of my first cooks I did and I only use chuck now for jerky. Here is my 1st one going on over a drip pan - which was not needed - but acted as a barrier for indirect cooking. [p]The chuck roast is lean - very lean so it does not do well with slow cooking and will easily dry out. Fast and hot is one way and sear the outside and cook to 140-160 and slice for sandwiches. Or cook to 180-190 deg and shread for pulled beef. Or slice thin and make jerky with it. I once seared one on the Egg and then finished it up in a crock pot like a pot roast. [p]Like I said -- now I just use it for jerky.[p]Better luck with yours.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's Bge cookbook[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi,
    What I do with chuck roasts.
    Rub with a southwestern style rub. Let sit a while. Pour some smoke to it starting at 180, and not going above 200 for 30-60 minutes. Remove. Bring cooker temp up to 700. Sear on all sides. Cool. Then cut up in cubes for chili![p]Whatever you end up doing, enjoy it. It is a flavorful, but tough piece of meat.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi,[p]CW and I (CW is an old forum poster) had a contest one time many moons ago, we both picked up the meanest and most pathetic cut of meat that we could find at the store. We both did this independently, and we both ended up with a gristly chuck roast. The contest was to see who could tame the beast. Mine came out OK, good flavor but it was still pretty tough, I just basically slow cooked it indirect for awhile. CW on the other hand seared his roast then put it into a covered dish with some veggies etc, some stock, and basically made a stew with it. He said that his came out wonderfully. Just an idea. I'd have to look into the archives to see what he actually did. I've since cooked some chuck roasts but more just to give them a smoke flavor, then I put them in some chili and cook it down the rest of the way. People say that brisket is tough, brisket dont have a thing on a tough chuck roast. Good luck with it, my only suggestion is to be sure that you give it plenty of time to cook, low and slow, to break it down, otherwise its shoe leather at best.[p]Troy
  • Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    Thanks to you all - you are the BEST !!!
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi,[p]A chuck roast is an ideal cook for a dutch oven and the Egg. Brown/sear the chuck roast first, then place it in a dutch oven with water, onion soup mix, potatoes and your favorite veggies. Slow cook at 225°F for anywhere from 5 to 9 hours and enjoy.[p]Puj
  • Grate Grills
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi,
    Season roast with salt & pepper and what ever else you would like. Sear on egg over high heat to form good crust on both sides. While searing roast, Tear a head of cabbage into leaves. In a dutchoven or even a disposable alum. pan put cabbage leaves 1 can beer, onion soup mix, 1 to 2 sticks butter. Lay roast on top, cover with foil and put back on egg at med. temp for about 1 1/2 hours. Incredible!

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    07_08_0016_03_01.jpg
    <p />Chef Arnoldi, olny chuck roast that I ever did on the BGE - Pulled Beef!

[ul][li]Chuck Roast, AKA Pulled Beef[/ul]