Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg not working well in the cold. Help!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm having a very hard time getting the egg to get up to temp in the cold weather. Today is actually fairly warm(40deg) but the temp won't go above 250deg. I've tried the vents full open and also closed down alot. I don't know if it's the damp air or what. In the summer, it would get up to 350+ no problem and keep rising if the vents were full open. Anyone else have this experience.[p]dave

Comments

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I sometimes have trouble in the wintertime, too, David Ram, Just turn on a hair dryer and aim it at the bottom vent. Flames will be shooting out the top in no time. Make sure there is no food on the grill or it will get covered with ash. JCA

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    snowegg.jpg
    <p />David Ram,[p]I cooked on mine right after this picture. Could the lump have gotten wet? The metal tops do leak. [p]Tim
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    David Ram, make sure that the wholes in the firegrate aren't blocked. I cold weather I generally tend to clean the ash out a little more frequently :~]

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    David Ram, I agree with what the others have said. I have personally cooked at below zero temperatures and had no problems. (except when the dome and ash door froze shut;), but thats a different story :)).
    Use a cheap kitchen type glove and stir the coals and make all the ash fall thru and push/pull the small left over coals up the sides of the egg and then add fresh lump. I use one starter cube under the grate if I want higher temps (learned that here from TimM i think) or place one on top if going for a low and slow type cook.
    Works every time. The egg WILL get as hot as you want in cold weather, trust me. ;)
    HTH
    ChefRD[p]

• David Ram,[p]I've read the other follow-up posts and the only other thing I can add is maybe you have ashes between the firebox and outer "shell" of the egg, preventing some air flow. I'm in Vermont and cook on mine year round, prpbably more in winter (because I can) and temperature control has never been a problem. 15 degrees here the other night and did some great spatchcocked chicken......even at 325 the whole cook.

• BobbyG
    BobbyG Posts: 67
    Options
    David Ram,
    Not to beat a dead horse here but I think the rest of the team has it. Make sure your good and clean and any time your having a little trouble getting the heat up...Air is what the good Dr. prescribes...Blow Those Coals ! See ya,
    BobbyG

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    David Ram,
    I made the error of emptying the end of a big bag of charcoal in the Egg on Sunday. It was snowing pretty hard and I was in a hurry. Big mistake; the tiny pieces smothered any hope of a fire and clogged the holes. I wasn't able to get the temp. up past about 250. I actually finished off the turkey breast in the oven. Oh, the shame of it all. But...the next day, I cleaned out the Egg, used fresh charcoal with the larger pieces, and I had Humpty up to nuke temp in just minutes. I learned my lesson; I'll "decant" the charcoal and throw out the dregs after this.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Gretl,
    Hope you haven't been peeing in the top again![p]Sorry. The memory is still fresh! : >))[p]Friday Beers to you, and howdy to the family!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    OUCH! Nothin' wrong with YOUR brain cells! I'll never, ever live that one down will I? I'll lurch home soon, grab an ale, and toast your elephant-like powers of recollection. I'll certainly give the guys your regards. Happy weekend back atcha!
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Gretl,
    If I could just remember the stuff I am supposed to!
    Just about to put on some beef short ribs.
    Tata!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ