Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood wet or dry

Options
Big E
Big E Posts: 51
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When smoking since I am a newbie at this, am I suppose to soak the chunks or to put them on dry ?

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Big E,[p]Dry. When wet wood chunks are heated, most of the heat energy is first used to vaporize the water in the wood before any significant pyrolysis (vaporization of volatile organic compounds, i.e., smoke-making) can take place.[p]Just make sure the smoke is "clean," i.e., coming out either clear or faintly blue before you put food on. White smoke = bad.[p]Cheers and welcome,[p]TRex
  • Big E
    Big E Posts: 51
    Options
    TRex,
    Thanks for your info. Also great pointers on your many experiences and recipes I have found in the forum. My wife has been noticing I am becoming an die hard egghead since I have discovered the "Forum".

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Big E,[p]It's very addicting, and these folks here kinda become like a second "family." It's a never-ending gold mine of good information, as I'm sure you're discovering.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex