Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grid Vs Dome Temp

Beast
Beast Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i've read a lot on here with the debate on temp. most recipes stated here would refer to dome temp am i right? if so when doing ribs would i use the maverick (E-73)thermometer to monitor the Grid for a temp of 215-225 or would i use the BGE dome temp thermometer to monitor the same temp i'm confused as to which do i use if the dome temp is say between 215-225 would the Grid temp be higer or vise versa? can someone please chime in and enlighten me i have some BB ribs that i want to try out today

Comments

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Hey, Beasty....Grid temp differs by dome temp by about 25 degrees or so...300 Dome should have you about 275 grid and the math goes accordingly from there...I will tell you this...225 dome is universally a 'sexy' smoking temp..But with the plate setter in place..you can ramp your temps up a bit...say 275 / 300 dome...which gives you 250 / 275 grid...and you will save time...with no difference in taste or quality...and THAT...is the BEAUTY of ceramic cooking / smoking.....[p]Ciao..err...Chow...[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Beast,[p]You'll likely see a 20-30 degree difference with an indirect setup between the cooler grid and dome. Put the probe at the grid and hold it 215-225 or clip it to the dome thermo clip on the inside and hold closer to 240-255. This is where I clip mine for car Wash Mike's ribs. [p]I don't know if your ribs would turn out different if no matter which but you will have a lot harder time maintaining a 215 dome and your meat will take a looong time to get done.
  • Beast
    eddiemac,
    Thanks for that valuable information i wonder would someone put together a temp conversion chart for those of us that have difficulties converting temps ohh well that may be another topic thanks again

• Beast
    mb168,
    I wanted to try car Wash Mike's ribs as well and was under the impression that the 200-225 stated was for grid but i'll go with DOME instead i would like to eat ribs today and not tomorrow LOL thanks for clearing that up for me ohh you said that you clip your thermometer next to the dome thermometer what do you use to hold it there?? i'm sure i need to get something for it

• mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Beast,[p]The ET-73 should have come with a little V clip with a hole in it. Squeeze it together and jam it between two grid bars and slide the probe thru it.[p]I've actually been sliding the probe between the clip on the inside of the BGE thermo and keeping it between 240-250, then ramp it up to 270, then close to 300 for the finishes as he states. But I'm doing this because I'm usually cooking 2-3 slabs on an XL flat which puts that grid clip out over the open area beside the plate setter which will give a false reading. It would be reading the direct air temp coming up from the coals where the meat is indirect above the plate setter, so I opted to go to the dome for a better reading.
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Beast,[p]Generally, for indirect cooks:[p]Grid temp = Dome temp - 25[p]TRex
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Beast,
    Reipes posted and listed here are always "dome" temp unlesss specifically stated as "grid" temp....based on the the fact that not everyone has a means to measure grid temp, but we all got a dome thermometer....As others have said 20 - 30° difference is normal...if you are doing a long cook, such as a butt, the longer you hold temp the closer the two will get to each other...I like to do my ribs in the 220° - 230° grid temp range....You can see some rib cooks in the cooks section of my website...[p]Wesss

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]