Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brine for Boston Butt

Options
belle's dad
belle's dad Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
HELP - I am going to do a Boston Butt. Thought I would brine it, but, I don't have a clue as to how to make the brine. I would probably over salt it if I winged it. Thank-you for any help you can give me. Gordon

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Belle's Dad,[p]I'm not sure why you would want to brine a butt. I've never had to brine one. The Egg will keep it moist and the meat, when it's pulled, has a unique delicate flavor. (Sounds weird talking about unique delicate flavor when you talk about a butt) [p]You ought to try it 'straight up'.
  • Jester
    Jester Posts: 17
    Options
    Belle's Dad,[p]Brining a but will take days. Inject a simple brine of salt, sugar and water. [p]OD
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Jester,[p]If you brine a butt for days you will make it very "hammy".[p]Brining a butt should not be done for more than 12 hours. I personally prefer mine with no brine, marinade, or injection, but there are merits for all such methods or preparation.
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    I always brine my butts for about 24 hours (or at least overnight) Longer than 24 and it does start to become a ham.[p]Dry with paper towels and then do your dry rub (and injection marinade if you want) for another day before smoking.[p]See the "Three day pulled pork" recipe in the '07 Eggtoberfest recipe list. I almost lost some fingers serving it there, people were eating the pulled pork so fast![p]For the brine, try adding about one cup of molases and one cup of kosher salt to a half gallon of water. [p]Mix the brine in a large stainless or aluminum pot that is big enough to hold the butt (or butts) but small enough so they are submerged in the brine. [p]Then let them sit overnight in the cold fridge.
  • Jester
    Jester Posts: 17
    Options
    Fidel,[p]You can brine a butt for 10-12 hours butt you will not get the flavor into the meat, it would take days and yes be hammy. I will never smoke another butt without injecting. When you have the right injection, all other butts are pale in comparison. [p]OD