Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clearance for using Egg on outdoor porch

Options
Eager Egger
Eager Egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wanted some advice from those who use your BGE under a roof, outdoor cover or porch. With the weather turning cooler, I want to move my BGE from the back yard up on our back porch. Sitting it in a large BGE table (Xmas present), I would have about 4 1/2 to 5 foot clearance from the top of the dome to the porch ceiling. The porch is open and the BGE table would set up against an open wrought iron railing away from the house. It seems safe to me and I just wanted to run it by the forum. BTW, any decision on what to do in the end will be mine alone and I accept all liability, so do not hesitate to give your 2 cents worth :-)
Mike

Comments

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    EagerEgger,
    My deck is covered and I have about 7 ft to the ceiling from the top of the eggs. No issues at all with it being covered.

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    EagerEgger,
    I believe you will be fine. I cook with mine under a deck and have never had any issues. The only thing I would suggest, is to be vigilant about back draft, or flash back as most refer to it on the forum. As long as you open your vents before you open the lid, you should be fine(high temp cooks). Just to be safe, make sure you have a mounted fire extinguisher nearby. And let your neighbors know that they can expect "some" smoke coming from your porch; If the firefighters show up because a neighbor called thinking your house was fire, you'll have to feed the whole fire dept.LOL.

• EagerEgger,
    I think you will eventually put a smoke spot on the ceiling, right above the BGE. You may want to preemptively put some sort of heat resistant, washable/ replacable covering up there.
    Worth all of $.02!
    Al

• EagerEgger,[p]I got a 4' x 4' thin sheet of metal to use as a heat shield. Drilled four holes, one @ corner, and suspended from eyehooks. The whole thing just hangs about a in below the "ceiling."[p]It never gets hot, so I took it down.[p]I suppose I might be concerned if I have all drafts open, top off, and it were cranking out 1000F... and no wind...[p]Maybe...[p]But that's why the trusty fire extinguisher sit right handy...[p]~B
  • AuntieEgger
    Options
    Hi EagerEgger
    Is that the porch awning I see in the pic on your profile? [p]Taking the precautions everyone else has spoken of into consideration to play it safe it should be ok.
    Within the last couple months I have put my LBGE on the back porch and have about the same clearance as you do. Most of the time the smoke gets blown out by the breeze or because it’s so close to the edge of the awning above the smoke gets sucked out by the air currents going by so that so the smoke so far has not been an issue.
    My husband put a heat barrier on the awning just incase the heat on high temp cooks should make it’s way up that far. Haven’t done any high heat cooks yet to test it out. I always keep the ceramic chimney cap handy in case there should be flames shooting out the top so I can cap it.
    There was some talk a while ago about a flame/spark retardant carpet to put under BBQ’s if you have your BBQ on a wooden deck but I don’t know to much about them ,, maybe someone who does know can tell you about them. I would be interested in hearing about the carpet again as well. [p]My neighbor has threatened to put a gate in the fence but no one has called the Fire Dep yet.[p]AuntieEgger[p]

• Eager Egger
    Options
    Thaks to all of you. I plan on going ahead with this. My iriginal idea was to build an outdoor kitchen. I thnk $25,000.000 would cover that deal. Since I am not hitting the lottery, I'll just put it on the back porch for now. I think the idea some day for a hanging hood and exhaust fan is evenutally in the budget :-) Thanks again for your ideas and now I wpost oneon what table to buy!
    Mike

• EagerEgger, if you don't have one of the newer eggs with the screen on the bottom vent you may want to add one.
  • EagerEgger,
    As was said earlier I did eventually get a smoke stain on the ceiling of my porch. I ended up doing the exhaust/vent hood, and although it was expensive, I would do it again and it eliminated my issues with cooking on my porch.[p]