Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Red beans & rice -- your favorite recipe?

Options
Bama Fire
Bama Fire Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Planning on cooking up a batch of red beans & rice. I have a pound of spicy venison sausage to add to the mix.[p]what's your favorite recipe?[p]Happy Friday![p]B~F

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Bama Fire,
    I like this with the smoked tasso and smoked ham both in the recipe. Smoke your own tasso,it's quite easy and vaacuum packs well.
    Painter

[ul][li]Louisiana red beans and rice[/ul]
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Bama Fire,[p]Here is a recipe I recieved from a real Cajun..Couzan Billy. Very simple and the venison sausage you have will comliment it nicely.[p]Enjoy!![p]Couzan Billy's Red Beans & Rice [p]1 pound Dried beans
    1 pound Andouille sausage
    1 cup Onion(s), chopped
    1/2 cup Green onion, minced
    1 tablespoon Garlic
    2 teaspoons Salt
    2 teaspoons Crab boil
    2 stalks Celery, minced
    3 pounds Ham hocks, smoked[p]PREPARATION:
    Soak beans overnight.[p]Brown the sausage, onions, garlic and celery.[p]Add remaining ingredients to stock pot. Add enough water to just cover.[p]Bring to boil and Simmer all day.[p]During the last 30 minutes, mash some of the beans until desired thickness is reached. [p]Spoon over rice to serve.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Painter,
    This one looks pretty good. I'd cut the cumin out, increase the bay leaf and onion.

• Painter,[p]I once saw a recipe for smoking Tasso on the internet but I didn't bookmark it. Does anyone have a link or a recipe for smoking tasso?[p]Thanks.
  • Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Mardi,
    Although there are several recipes out their, this is what I've enjoyed. I used Franks buffallo wing sauce instead of the Louisiana Gold only because thats what I had.
    Enjoy

[ul][li]Smoked Tasso[/ul]
  • Mardi,
    Here is one that somebody posted earlier.[p]

[ul][li]tasso recipe[/ul]