Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any "tips" on cooking tri-tip?

Options
Doctor Evil
Doctor Evil Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to grill tri-tip for the first time on my BGE. Anybody have any tips?

Comments

• egginator
    Options
    Doctor Evil,
    I basically T-rex them, but do a forum search for morro bay rich and tri tip and you'll find a link to his tri-tip page. [p]Ed

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Doctor Evil,[p]Check the attached. I have cooked it twice for the Eggs by the Bay Eggfest and once for the PNW Eggfest. No one has complained.
    [ul][li]Santa Maria Style Tri-tip[/ul]
  • Doctor Evil,[p]Trex 'em, or Eggs-by-the-Bay 'em -- but don't let internal rise to more than 130 before ya pull and foil 'em![p]Yeah -- I dry rub 'em and wrap 'em overnight first.[p]Enjoy![p]~ Broc

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Doctor Evil, I do mine low and slow, dome at 250 indirect setup till the inside temp is about 125, I remove from the Egg and rest foil covered about 15 minutes, I let the Egg to get to about 500 and then sear the Tri-tip.

• Doctor Evil,[p]Tri-tip is perhaps my favorite thing to prepare on the egg, and it gets rave reviews. After a light coating of olive oil, I dry rub with a mixture of sea salt, black and red pepper, parsley, garlic, scallions, and a pinch of chili powder. [p]Cook direct at about 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes per side, then remove from egg and immediately wrap in foil and let "rest" for 15 minutes. Slice thinly, and find a great horseradish sauce, and you'll be loving dinner. Easy, delicious and fast. I do like to use mesquite wood in the egg for this. [p]I have found over the last year that I really like "smoking steaks" at about 350 degrees rather than the inferno method. FWIW.