Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does brining affect cook time significantly? How's my timeline?

ThinkandDrive
ThinkandDrive Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm assuming the answer is no, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I put a 13lb (12.76lb, for you superstitious people) into a brine at 8:00PM last night and pulled it out at 9:00AM this morning. It's now 10:13AM here in Maryland. I plan on serving the turkey at 4:45PM - 5:00PM today. From the 10-15min/plb formula, I'm looking at a 3.25 hour cook at the longest. That seems short to me, for some readon. But most of what I'm reading is for non-brined birds. At least I think. Will having the brined turkey affect the time? Extend it or reduce it? (I would think extend, if anything)[p]Egg is loaded up. Fit test went great. Turkey is on the counter to come to room temp. There was still some ice frozen in the cavity, even after the overnight brining but I expect it will be good when it goes on the fire. The legs and breast felt pretty thawed.[p] I was planning on lighting the fire at 11:00AM, letting it burn and stabilize for an hour. This would put the turkey on at 12:00PM and have it done around 3:30 or 4:00. I thought I'd shove it in oven at a keep warm temp (what temp?) until 5:00PM while I work the gravy.[p]Am I on the right track or should I get the fire going and expect alonger cook, given the brine?[p]Thanks, folks! And have a great Thanksgiving!

Comments

• ThinkandDrive,
    A brined turkey will cook faster than one that hasn't been brined. Probably 20 minutes or so quicker than you expect.
    PH

• ThinkandDrive,
    I am not an expert, but I think things sound like you are on the right track. I put my 14 lb bird(brined over night in Alton Brown's brine recipe, honey veg. stock, kosher salt) on at 6:30, my temp was a little high when it went on 325 or so. I let it go for about and hour, the color was then perfect already. I covered it when alum foil and tried to keep them temp down to 260 -280. I checked the temp at 9 45, which is just over 3 hours, my breast temp was 165, and my leg temp was hit 180 and was still climbing. I pulled it off right then and it is in the oven now. No heat, just resting. We plan to eat at noon(hour and a half). Probably going to pull it out here in the next bit and get carving.
    Best of luck and happy t-day

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    ThinkandDrive,
    I have never done a time comparison brined or not...and I do usually brine, but not today.....When I brine a turkey I let it soak for around 3 days...not sure how much you got in the bird doing just an overnighter...Where are you in Md, we are in College Park[p]Wess

• ThinkandDrive,
    I completely agree with pumpkinhead, brining does increase cooking speed and reduce time. I think because it transfers heat through the meat faster. I've tried it both ways and now I always brine the bird. LOVE IT!

• WessB,[p]We're in Bel Air, MD.[p]Thanks for all the advice, folks. I guess I'll get on lighting that fire then!
  • ThinkandDrive,[p]where in Bel Air - we're on Patterson Mill and I'm getting hungry :o)
    Happy Thanksgiving to all.
    Tim[p]