Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ham Recipe

Beast
Beast Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i want to cook a ham tomorrow i have searched the archives for any info related to this and have found a few good recipes one being dr. chicken's double smoked ham i think this is the one i will try it states to use orange juice concentrate would that be frozen OJ or bottled OJ? also if anyone has tried this recipe recently can you please chime in and advise thanks
Beast

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Beast,
    well the family really loves <a herf"http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_15538,00.html">Alton Brown's City Ham</a>[p]101_0410.jpg[p]
    happy eggin
    tb[p][p]go blue!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    BENTE,
    i forgot the link[p]happy eggin
    tb[p]
    go blue!!

[ul][li]Alton Brown's City Ham[/ul]

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    BENTE,
    Terry:[p]Sorry I wasn't able to hook up. Six flights in five days and another 600 miles driving. I'm still dazed.[p]Mike

• BENTE
    Lawn Ranger,
    that's ok i wish we could have gotten together but i have had a pretty crazy week also. hope your trip went well. [p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 148
    BENTE,[p]Wow the ham looks great! I am cooking 2 12lb hams for my family and in-laws this Thanksgivig. I found the link for the recipe. I have some questions. Did you remove the fat and skin (diamond shape) after cooking for a period of time. I often use apple juice to keep the meet tender, would you suggest putting a small amount in the bottom of a aluminum pan covered? I am guessing you kept the temp 250-275 degrees? If you could give me any advice it would be appreciated.[p]Regards,[p]Chris
  • BENTE
    Chris,
    yes i did the diamond fat trick. it is essential!!! [p]all the mustard and giggersnaps and sugar will not stick too well if the fat is still on there. also you will not be able to eat any of the tastey crust with the meat unless you eat the fat too.[p]as far as the apple juice goes try it if you want i had no problem with the meat druing out. i would make sure when you put the glaze on you take the appl juice out because it will add more moisture and make more of the glaze fall off. now the seven or eight hams i have done this way have made a mess of the kitchen the glaze is verry runny to begin with so a drip pan is recomended.[p]HTH[p][p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 148
    BENTE,[p]Thanks for the quick reply. [p]Chris