Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

quick help on buttermilk

char buddy
char buddy Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've decided to soak my chicken wings in buttermilk before doing the Chef R.D. Hot Wings tonight. Problem is I have never done a butter milk soak before. Anybody got any quick advice on what to do? I have 15 to 20 wings and a quart of buttermilk?[p]

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    char buddy, my wifey has been doing the buttermilk soak for years and years before frying chicken and it's just a matter of soaking the chicken pieces. Nothing scientific, and yes it does make a difference.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Buttermilk will give it a smoother flavor & tenderize the meat.
    enjoy

• char buddy, Hey,, buttermilk is my invention. Yall keep using it and never even call it K.O.Cbuttermilk. :) Just foolin wid yall. It is a great thing. You saw what it does for my grandmother.:)

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    King-O-Coals,[p]Kin we see dat picture of your Grandma again???! Please!

• Granny.jpg
    <p />Okay, just to prove it,, here is the pic of my grandmother again for you newbies. She is 92 years old now and she uses buttermilk as a morning face wash. JJ always gets mad when I show her, but I understand that he has started washing his face with buttermilk in the morning if no one is watching. :) Just kidding JJ. I know buttermilk is miraculous, but it has it's limitations in rejuvenation abilities.

• char buddy,[p]Thanks to all you helped out a needy ma. I did Chef RD's wings after months of looking at GFW's pics of same. I soaked the 30 drum and winglettes in 2 cups of buttermilk for a couple of hours. [p]I treated the buttermilk soak like a brine. So when the wings came out of the soaks, I rinsed the buttermilk off and dried them. Then I followed the Chef's recipe, which I had to make a milk and egg wash and re-soak the wings briefly before dredging them through the Chef's dry mixture. I am wondering if I can just dredge'em after I take'em out of the first buttermilk soak. [p]I was curious to see what the buttermilk and bread-like crust did to the texture. Would the wings turn out more moist with a nicer texture? Answer. The wings were great. Nice crunchy crust, tender and great texture. I plan on trying this recipe with boneless breasts next time and get the Chef's version of chicken tenders.
  • char buddy , you rinsed the buttermilk off???? You ruined it. Send them to me after you cook them and I will throw them out for you. :) No, actually the buttermilk on the wings is a slightly thick(runny pancake batter thickness) paste full of seasonings in my method. I just lift them out of the goop and let the excess drip from between my fingers, and throw them on the grill. Of course, I have a small mesh stainless grill surface so they won't fall through. Much easier than placing them individually. Did I mention I can throw peeled, devaned, and seasoned, shrimp on that grate also? Kinda like stir-frying on the grill, or stir-smoking.