Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Intial Cooks

Options
Sprouter
Sprouter Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well as most of you know, I made the seven hour round trip to the BGE store in Atlanta last Saturday. Have cooked three times since then
1) Hamburgers: I know it sounds simple but couldn’t wait (8:00PM). No special seasoning and they turned out fantastic. Great taste to them and very juicy.[p]2) NY Strips: Did a rub with Olive Oil, Garlic and salt and Pepper. Recommended method from brother was to fire the grill up to 700, sear 1 minute each side, Handful of Jack Daniels chips, and then shut it down for aprx 8 mins. Results were ok. To smoky for my wife’s taste but they were juicy in the middle and done just right. Thanks for the tip on Burping. Used the suggested method and had no fireball. Great advice from the forum.[p]3) Center Cut Pork chops last night. Used the BGE Seasoning. Were great but I overcooked them just a bit.[p]I am probably going to have to breakdown and by a Meat thermometer. My sister bought a Polder wireless in Costco before x-mass (Only 19.99). Can’t find one yet and probably will have to order over the phone. [p]Going to try baby backs this weekend. Can’t wait until then!!!
Sprouter

Comments

• Jim R.
    Jim R. Posts: 103
    Options
    Sprouter,
    Isn't fun-all consuming planning whats next!!

• Sprouter,
    I bought an Accurite Digital Thermometer with probe at Wal Mart. I can't remember how much I paid for it.

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Sprouter,[p]Sounds a lot like my first few cooks. Burgers, then steak, then chicken (as I recall).[p]Depending on the thickness of the steak, I like something similar to 4/4/2. That cooked my T-bone the other night dang near perfect for me...right at medium rare, with an excellent sear on both sides. I've found each additional 2 minutes of dwell goes to medium, then medium well, and then dead (hope I never have to do that to a good steak). All of this is assuming ~700 degree dome. [p]A thinner steak likes less on each side, and a thicker steak, like a filet, likes the same sear, but then longer dwells. Burgers are similar to steak...based on thickness, except I usually shoot for at least medium well.[p]One caution on the meat thermometer. If your fire is over 400, then you probably shouldn't try to use one that's left inside the Egg. The probe will fry pretty quickly. An instant read will work better, and thus I have two thermometers. An instant read and a wireless Redi-Check. I've decided the wired Polders just cannot handle being outdoors...especially in Arizona.[p]Enjoy the baby backs! I'm making some of my own this weekend as well. Yum![p]--sdb