Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Babyback Ribs Help

Options
James
James Posts: 232
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,[p]Just got a medium grill and would like some tips on how to make some good Babyback ribs. All I have is the Grill and the Ribrack. Looking through the forums there seems to be a lot of suggestions to use Firebricks, Foil, Drip pans, etc -- but I don't have any of that at the moment.[p]Can someone suggest what temperature, times, and whether or not to wrap the ribs in foil, without needing firebricks of drip pans?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• James
    Options
    Actually,[p]Looking at some websites in the archives of this forum, it doens't look too difficult to get all the parts for the 3-1-1 method.[p]I would like to try this too as well as a simple direct method, but where do you get all the parts?[p]It looks like the drip-pan is self made. An aluminum type pan, filled with water, and then foil on top.[p]What is the grill you put on top of the drip pan? is this just any old round grill, that rests directly on the drip pan, or is it a some special tool that has "Feet" that stand on the main grill?[p]Thanks!

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    James,
    One of the best places you can go for information about the BGE is Tim M's site http://www.tm52.com/bge/. You can learn a lot there while waiting for the Eggsperts to respond to your question.

• James
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]Thanks,[p]That is where I got most of the information about the indirect method etc, but I don't know how to get all the materials to do it.[p]Some questions for Tim, or anyone else who knows:[p]Tim likes to "Mustard Coat" his ribs. Is this a dry rub of mustard seed, or the normal mustard in a bottle from the store?[p]Tim also uses Vinegar. How is this done, just normal vinegar put on the ribs?[p]I saw a "BBQ Sauce recipe" on his page, that includes both mustard and vinegar. Is this what he means by including "Mustard and Vinegar" -- just put this sauce on?[p]And also, how do you set up the drip-pan setup. What pieces do you need, and where do you get it?[p]Thanks,
    James

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Options
    James,
    You'd be amazed at what you may have laying around in the kitchen, garage, or the remains of your old BBQ grille, that will enable you to get underway with a nice rib cook.
    You will need at the least, another grid (grill), to set a drip pan on, with a grid above that to support your ribs, whether on or in a rib rack, or just sitting on the grid.
    Look inside your Egg, and you can see how you can lift the fire-ring off the top of the firebox. This is where you can sit the first grid(on top of the firebox) which will hold a drip pan (or firebricks) to help keep direct flame off your ribs. Obviously, a large mass such as firebricks or a sturdy pizza stone is going to go a lot further in deflecting heat and flames away from your ribs. Anyway, you then re-position the fire-ring on top of that first grid, which holds your top grid for your ribs and/or ribrack. But, you can definitely pull off a ribcook with just a drip pan, just be sure that "every" bit of rib is above the pan! And without any other mass to deflect and absorb flame, you definitely want water in that pan. Also, let your temp come up real slow, and then hold it at a nice low temp (low-mid 200's)--see TimM's or GFW's site for more on this.
    By the way, you'll always need a drip pan to catch the drippings off the ribs, even with a stone or firebricks. I trust they sent you home with a dome thermometer, too. Critical piece of equipment. Strongly suggest you check with your retailer, and see if they stock a "plate setter" that fits the medium (does the same as firebricks, allows you to make pizza easily, gives you more versatility with indirect cooking), and also, the grill extender, which clips onto your main cooking grid. Hope this helps some.
    Stay tuned for more great info from your Fellow Eggers!!
    Big Murth

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    James,
    Sounds like you have all you need to get started using the direct method. It works very well if you can keep your temp around 250. Cat is a pro with this method. Here is a link to her technique! The marinade is also good if you are looking for something unique and tasty,[p]Cheers!
    NB

[ul][li]Cat's Ribs[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ