Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sootie Steaks

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just had a bad experience cooking beautiful rib eyes. Used the recipe
shown in the BGE book. I was careful to follow directions as listed.
Got the temp up to 650, then put the 1" steaks on for 1 and 1half
minuts per side, but before I could close the draft, a thick cloud of
soot poured out of the daisy wheel and covered the steaks with black
mess. I continued anyway by closing both top and bottom drafts and
let the steaks bake for 4 more minutes as specified. The meat was done
to a tea, but ruined by the thick soot. What did I do wrong? Steaks
too expensive to make same mistake again.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Doctor J,
    Sounds kinda like you mighta had a funky piece of charcoal (see TimM's "moonrock"). Maybe he'll post the picture. If you missed soemthing like that, and burned it, you could have a problem. [p]The fat coming off the steaks will give you a good cloud of smoke, especially after a flip, but short-lived.[p]I usually move the steaks to the side, and dwell with the bottom vent closed, and the top open. Not a true dwell I suppose, but I don't like to leave my meat on the grill with all the vents closed. Just my opinion though![p]Beers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Doctor J,[p]I am confused - you got the temps up to 650, so that took about 20 min or so. At this point the fire should not be smoking at all - just fire and lots of it. Bottom vent 90% - 100% open and the slide/daisy wide open on the chimney. This will get you about 650 deg and should not go over that to much. [p]Toss on the steaks - I would suggest 1.5" or larger since these temps cook fast - real feast and rib-eys with all the fat will cokk really fast. I am unclear where the soot came from or if you got to the dwell part and saw the smoke as you were dwelling (baking as you called it). I can't see where you would have any soot. [p]Dwelling a steak will add a lot more smokey taste to it than just grilling until done. [p]Also - please don't follow any of the manuals recipes without checking here first. Many are just plan wrong.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's Bge Website[/ul]
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Doctor J,
    I`m not sure if what I am going to say is the same as you are talking about, but I`ll throw it out anyway.....I have had several times where some black...stuff...for lack of a better word...peels off the inside of the dome...it seems to do this more with a low slo cook..something to do with the steam.....anyway..after figuring this out I started to pay closer attention to these almost ash looking things and decided I would use either a grill brush or a 3m scrubber pad to remove any loose stuff from inside the dome..and i really havent had much trouble with it since then...HTH..[p]Wess