Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

plate setter use

Chuck
Chuck Posts: 812
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got a plate setter for Christmas and was curious as to what all it can be ussed for. I have read about it's use with pizza. Do you put the pizza directly on the plate setter or place a stone on the setter?
Other uses? Thanks.

Comments

• Chuck,[p]I too got a plate setter for christmas. I used mine for pizza with a baking stone. I put 4 ~3/16inch slices of copper pipe on top of the plate setter, then set the stone on top of that. The idea was to get an air gap between the stone and the setter to avoid burning the crust. Turned out really good. [p]I like the plate setter for it's setup convenience versus firebricks, but I didn't notice any difference in the cook. Then again it might be too soon to judge since I've only used it twice so far. Anyway, that's my $.02.[p]Kevin

• Rich
    Rich Posts: 67
    Chuck,
    I use a plate sitter when cooking indirect to keep the direct heat of the lump off what I am cooking. It works great. I use the plate sitter and a pizza stone when making pizza. It helps keep the bottom of the pizza from burning. One trick I learned from the forum is if you are cooking indirect with a plate sitter, pizza stone and drip pan and don't want the drippings in the pan to burn, use a spacer between the pizza stone and the plate sitter to a allow air to circulate under the stone. It seems to work up to dome temperatures of 350*. I use ceramic spacers, but metal washers work just as well. My 2 cents
    Rich

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Chuck,[p]I use the plate setter for all low & slow indirect cooks. (Boston butts, briskets, turkeys, etc.) Just take the setter and place it inverted directly on top of the fire ring, and then lay the main grid on the feet of the setter. It makes a perfect fit. Along with directing the fire away from the meat, it serves as an extra ceramic heat source.[p]You have no need for fire bricks or pizza stones if you have a plate setter.

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Chuck,[p]For pizza, I use the plate setter, with the feet down, on the fire ring. I then just put the BGE pizza stone on top of that (no spacers), and run my fire at about 650. A dome temp of 700 seems to burn the pizza too easily for me, and below 600 the pizza isn't as crispy as I like. The type of dough and its thinness are a factor for dome temp, so some experience will be necessary.[p]For indirect cooks (like the butt I did New Year's Eve), I use the plate setter upside down, with the legs pointed up, and the grill grid supported by the legs. On the plate setter I put a drip pan, so it actually goes plate setter, then drip pan, then grid. Pretty easy. I've got fire bricks as well for indirect cooks, but since getting the plate setter I've yet to use them.[p]My pizza stone only goes in the Egg, when being used for pizza.[p]Enjoy! And if you make pizza, let is know how it turns out.[p]--sdb
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Chuck,[p]Looks like the versatility and multiple uses of the plate setter have been covered very well in the other posts. For pizza I've started to use a second pizza stone (on top of a pizza stone that's on top of the plate setter) for my whole wheat thin crust pizza, and for cooks where multiple pizzas will be done (9-10" thin crust pizzas have been the max to date). Dome temp ranges from 650°F to 700°F for these cooks.[p]Enjoy the new toy.[p]Puj