Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket done early- How to hold

Eager Egger
Eager Egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put a 8# brisket on last night at 10pm and the BBQ Guru kept the temp at 240 degrees (dome) all night. Because the brisket was long, I cut it in half to fit the egg, so the thinner part was done this mroning at 8am. I have it in a cooler, foiled and wrapped in towels. Looks like the larger end will be done in an hour or two. I need to hold the brisket until about 3pm this afternoon and am concerned that just putting it in the cooler will not do the job. Any suggestions?
Mike

Comments

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    EagerEgger,[p]I have made this same mistake before. No worries; you can leave it wrapped in foil in the cooler (might add some towels to the wrap) until noon or 1pm (4 to 5 hours). What I do at that point is go ahead and slice it up into a pan, sauce it (preheat the sauce), seal it with foil, and put it in a 170F oven 1 to 1.5 hours before serving time. The only danger with this is it will likely get so tender that you can't pick up a whole piece with a fork without it falling apart... you end up with just a bite on the fork. Many (all?) BBQ purists don't care for it this tender (don't do this in a contest!); I happen to think it is wonderful this way. And my guests that have eaten it, tend to rave about it; I just grin and thank them... : )[p]TD
  • EagerEgger,
    The cooler will hold the temp, just make sure you wrap in a few times in hd foil. Same thing happened to me once but mine was done at 7am and needed to eat that afternoon at 6pm. Wrapped it and put in cooler, worked like a champ. Good Luck!!

• EagerEgger,
    I would suggest lowering the temp so you can take the remaining piece off at aroung 10-11, wrap and put in athe cooler, Fo rhte other piece, I think 7 hours is probably too long to keep it inthe cooler. You might put a little broth in foil around the meat, return to the cooker, and get the temp in the meat back up to about 190, then return to the cooler about the same time as the other piece. Good luck! [p]Brett

• sven, Thanks. Very reassuring. The brisket looks wonderful and from sticking in a thermapen to check it, I can tell it is going to be veery tender.
    Mike

• Tony, Good information, thanks much. BTW, we have a local BBQ pit called Rudy's. They sell the best brosket around here and I always ask for "moist". We love it that way.
    Mike[p]

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    EagerEgger,
    Wrap it in film 905 (a heavy duty cling wrap sold @ Sam's club.[p]Place it in a styrofoam container. It will hold temp for about 4 hours.[p]The film seals better than foil. And, it will withstand the temp for reheating.