Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calling my egg

Options
smokeydrew
smokeydrew Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm not sure if anyone will be interested, but I figured I'd post it anyway.[p]Last weekend, I did a proof of concept, for a project I am working on that allows me to control my egg via the stoker by phone (voip). I blogged about it <a href=http://dhysong.blogspot.com/2007/10/hearing-voices-from-grill.html>here</a>.[p]I'm planning on taking it a lot further with a full interactive voice response menu allowing me to control the egg from anywhere I can get phone service.

[ul][li]Calling my egg[/ul]

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    smokeydrew,[p]OK, that's just cool.
  • BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    smokeydrew,[p]
    Very interesting--I'd be interested in this as well as any other geeky things you do with the stoker. I have been trying to figure out a way to include a USB port perhaps from the ethernet port provided. Any ideas on this?

• BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    smokeydrew,[p]I agree; it would be much easier had you set up a development environment for php rather than running the script via initiating a phone call.
  • BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    smokeydrew,[p]BTW---how are you coming with this?[p]Attach a wireless bridge to the stoker to make the controller wireless. I have been looking for a device to attach to the stoker to make it a true wireless device. Thus needing perhaps a USB port, which I could use as an access point eliminating the need for that 100 foot cable that runs from my router through the house to the Stoker. Thought about a cheap video game wireless access point that would communicate back to the router.[p]Write an application that can:
    Retrieve the settings from the stoker controller via a telnet socket

• smokeydrew
    Options
    byc,
    I have the wireless bridge connected and it's working fine. It's an old dlink bridge that I had left over from an old project. [p]wireless router  --wireless-->  bridge  --wired-->  stoker[p]I'll post pictures of it when I get home tonight.

• smokeydrew,[p]Very Cool.[p]I'm just wondering how long before this technology is commercially available. The internet (ethernet) BBQ Guru? Control smokers over the internet. While watching them with a webcam.[p]Konrad

• Katodude00
    Options
    byc,[p]Have you tried the Stokerlog program. Very cool little application that give you real time control over your stoker. It also lets you graph your cook and has a lid detection function built in.