Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

anyone doing a mad max turkey trial today - THE HOTLINE IS OPEN

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
sounded like a bunch of folks were gonna do mad max turkey trials today, so as a public service to you, the hotline is officially open for the day, from now till 11pm eastern time tonight ... got questions? give me a holler[p]703-517-3791
[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm[/ul]

Comments

• citychicken
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    geeeze what a wonderful and thoughtful way to help out fellow eggers. thanks so much! don't think i'll need to be calling though, i did one last year which turned out grrreat!

• Beast
    Beast Posts: 78
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I had wanted to try one today also but the wife was so amazed by the ribs that i cooked yesterday that she wanted more of them today as we speak more ribs are on the egg now but i still may give you a call or ask questions here still such as which kind of turkey to buy i have a roast pan not sure if it will fit the egg or not i'll have to check that out when she cools down some later after she's done with the ribs

• Susan Egglaine
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Parts are simmering, BGE is heating up!
    Thanks for being here!
    Susan Egglaine

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Let's see:[p]Simmering stock pot: Check
    Prepared Turkey with Ice on breast: Check
    Egg to 325 Deg F : Check
    Mad Max on Speed Dial:Check[p]Looks like I'm all set Thanks Max[p]Mike

• GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Okay..about to start as I type... just reading through one more time...[p]I'm doing a breast.. and still debating if I should put it in the v-rack or not... thoughts?

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    GirlyEgg,
    i'd put a breat in the v-rack if i were you .. .while i've never done the mad max method on just the breast i don't see why it would work ... i was talking to someone at tikifest yesterday about doing exactly that... i suggested though that she should see if she could purchase a couple of turkey necks, or a package of chicken backs to go ahead and make the stock for gravy. . . lacking that, use canned chicken broth.. . it will still be good .. . [p]and if you are finding that you don't have enough drippings/juice in your roasting pan for basting, keep adding some apple juice and or broth to the ban along with some more butter to have some good basting juices. . . [p]good luck. . .

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Mike in Abita,
    sounds like your are ready to rock and roll!!. .. good luck. .

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Susan Egglaine,
    good luck today,. .looking forward to hearing how they turn out. ..

• GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thanks for the quick response! I actually have some reduced turkey stock in the freezer that's thawing now. My mom taught me to never waste a good turkey carcass! When everyone else is taking leftover sweet potatoes, I'm bagging 'da bones to make soup! Thanks!

• Susan Egglaine
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Bird just went on, A little late to be asking but, 325 reading on the dome thermometer?

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Susan Egglaine,
    depending on where your turkey is sitting in the egg, you may want to go a little higher ....as 325 dome equates to about 300 down at the normal grid level .. . .if your bird is highup in the dome then that is a good temp. .. but if you are set up like mine is, and the turkey is pretty far down in the egg, you may want to be up in the 340 - 350 dome temp range ...only difference it will make is how long the bird will take to cook. . otherwise its fine either way .. .

• Susan Egglaine
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thanks, going to baste now!

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Susan Egglaine,
    if its already starting to brown, take a big piece of aluminum foil out there and loosly tent it over the turkey. ... leave it there till there is about an hour left and then remove it until turkey is browned exactly the way you want ... if the turkey isn't done then, put the tent back on till you're ready to pull it ... but keep basting every 20 minutes, just lift and replace the tent each time. .. .

• GlenLivet18
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I plan on doing a bird for the holiday & have a few general questions,
    1) Where do you get the correct turkey pan size?
    2) What size bird is everyone doing? (I have a large BGE & would like to throw in the max(no pun intended) turkey size)
    3) This recipe looks awesome & my wife agrees we should do this one for the holiday.[p]Thanks all!