Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Loin - Which Way?

Options
AndyR
AndyR Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been commissioned from my parents to cook a pork loin for Christmas. This p.l. is about 12 - 14 inches long and about 6 inches in diameter, tied with butchers string. (with a nice fat cap...) Picture it in you head and think of what you would do. I know if I snip the string I can unfold it into a 20+ inch loin. I'm thinking of doing that, marinating with my favorite - Lawry's Herb and Garlic Marinade and grilling @ 350. Yet this strikes me as too simple. My gut tells me you all might know of a better way. What's your thought??? djm5x9, oh master, what advice would you give a young apprentice?

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    AndyR,
    Have you checked out the recipe for Mr. Toad's pork loin in the recipe section? I tried it and it was wonderful. If you don't like that option, someday I'm going to try the same thing but with cherries and juniper berries. The best pork I ever had in a restaurant was done this way.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Andy:[p]You humble me my little cheriub associate! I have gained my great storehouse from those that have walked this path before me! I say cut that sucker in half and follow the path provided by a great one that suggested the link below to follow. Although he is no longer with us, he knew his pork loin![p]
    [ul][li]Santa Fe Cured Pork Loin[/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    AndyR,[p]I would definitely remove the string and cut the whole loin into two pieces. Prepare each piece using different marinades to provide choices for the family.[p]I would lean closer to 300°F for the cooking temperature.[p]The KISS principle works with pork loin.[p]Spin
  • AndyR
    Options
    Spin,
    Good thought. Thanks.

• AndyR
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Ahhh, mastaa. You are very wise in the way of meats. Unfortunately, Sante Fe is a place I've already been. Looking for road... less traveled.

• Rich
    Rich Posts: 67
    Options
    AndyR,
    I agree, Mr. Toad's pork loin recipt is worth trying. Even my teenagers liked it.
    Rich

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    AndyR,
    I wuz gonna suggest a jerked version, like our friend RhumAndJerk cooked at the fest, but since it is a holiday presentation you are loking for, I agree with TNW, that Mr. Toads Loin....or a variation of it, would really hit big. It really makes a gorgeous presentation, and their is an incredible variety of possible goodies for the stuffing.[p]Just a thought!
    'Appy 'Olidays!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Andy:[p]I am sorry I have failed you little grasshopper . . .[p]Regardless of your choice, cut the 20" loin into two pieces and remove the string. Season as you initially suggested and grill at 325º/350º. Pull at 140º internal, tightly cover with foil for five minutes (no more), and serve. The internal should then be above 145º after this short rest. Done per revised temperatures, yet not over cooked.[p]A pleasant holiday you and the family. Missed you at the "White One's" house today, so did Mr. "Mac". May the reindeer use the yard and not the roof come Monday evening!