Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dreaded Words

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Oh goodness, this morning my wife mentioned the dreaded words "Diet" and "Exercise" for after the first of the year. I suppose we do closely resemble the fattier half of the American population, but after I got my Egg I just assumed that "Diet" didn't include us because how could something so good be bad for you? And isn't lifting the heavy lid, and bags of lump "exercise?" Of course it is. And common sense says the cook must be properly lubricated with various liquid refreshments (I think its a rule or something) during the cooking process. So what if I do shave a couple of years off my life. If those years were in the middle I would be concerned, but they're at the end, with emphasis on "the end." Given the gravity of this situation, I would appreciate any help explaining the nutritional value of ceramic cooking. And please mention something good about the exercise we Eggers get. And don't forget to say something about the various laws and traditions requiring refreshment intake. I suspect your responses will not only apply to me but hundreds of other fellow Eggheads. ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE...[p]Spring Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• char buddy
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]Just add more fish, chicken, grilled mushrooms and lamb to your mix of things you cook regularly and you'll be ok. Hit the gym a few more times a week and the weight will come off nice and easy.
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Well, I know for me personally, the first round of liquid refreshment is about timing. From the time I close the dome to the time the egg reaches cooking temp is almost the exact time it takes for the Egg to reach cooking temps. So to me, it's almost a requirement.
    Funny you should mention that as my wife commented on the "extra" beer I've been drinking and is attributing my weight gain to it. I hope she doesn't think to attribute it to excess eating off the Egg! I smell conspiracy...trying to take away beer and the Egg!

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    I guess I am lucky. I am allergic to alcohol. So all I have to cut back on is the ammount of food off the egg. I think I will start walking more.
    Fireball

• Pug
    Pug Posts: 57
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    I tried to persuade my wife that the size of the egg that you buy is proportional with the weight gain that you might have. I have a medium egg---therefore medium weight gain. That has not happened. I should have gotten the large. LOL. Anyway just promise to eat more chicken and park at the far end of the parking lot at the meat market so you will get your exercise. [p]Also, when you are discussing dieting with the wife do over supper while eating her favorite dish prepared on the egg. This also helps cover blunders and stupid mistakes you might get in trouble for. I, of course, am not speaking from experience but that is what I have heard. :-)[p]Steve[p]PS. Another stategy is to tell her that you are going on one of the all protein diets. The egg was made for that.

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Heed Char Buddy's words. I managed to lose weight (20 lbs) after getting the Egg, believe it or not; if you don't deep fry or eat a lot of cream and butter, food cooked on the Egg is really good for you. Grilling and roasting's a lean way to cook; fish, chicken and vegetables are great when prepared in the Egg. Cheer up. Oh...I DID cut back on alcohol, I'm sorry to say!![p]Cheers,
    Gretl

• Spring Chicken,[p]I have the same problem :) Last night my wife said... Look me in the eye and tell me that is only your second beer :)[p]Anywhow... once the beautiful mahi mahi steaks with mushrooms and corn on the cob came off the Egg.. she settled down and excepted me for who I am. A beer drinking Egger. [p]Seriously though.. get into vegitables and fish, chicken, lean non fatty items that you can marinate rather than the fatty cuts we all love... but probably should ignore for healths sake. I just love vegitables off the Egg :) [p]Take care.... and Happy Egging. BB

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Spring Chicken, Yep after a couple years of the egg, we too were getting pretty robust ;). Someone here mentioned the Dr. ATkins diet and i looked into it, bought his book,and never looked back! The atkins diet fits the egg style cooking great and with some planning it is very easy to stick too. You will lose weight on it, and I haven't had a heartburn since i started it! Great!!
    Maybe something you want to look into and decide for yourself.
    HTH ChefRD.

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Thanks for the advice y'all. I just might use some of it - Next Year.