Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carne adobadas - Pork in Red Chili

Options
Peggy
Peggy Posts: 122
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi there! Some of you expressed interest on how my Carne Adobadas (or some of you call it adovada) came out. This was my second cook on my BGE! It was FABULOUS! I am very pleased. My recipe is a version of Rick Bayless from "The Mexican Kitchen" Cookbook. To summarize, I marinated 10 pounds of country style pork ribs (purchased at Costco)in red chili for 48 hours. The red chili was a mixture of dried guajillo and ancho chilis. The ancho lends sweetness to the heat of the red chili sauce. I sliced the ribs in half and removed as much fat as I could prior to marinating. Everything was placed in one of those old fashioned roasters that are black with tiny white dots. My roaster was 17 inches long so it fit nicely in my BGE. I was worried the roaster walls might be too thin with the heat below because I do not have fire bricks yet to difuse the heat.
After marinating 48 hours, I fired up the egg and stabalized the heat at 250. I used 2 chunks of mesquite the size of my fist soaked in water and wrapped in foil with just a tiny piece of wood exposed to the fire. This is a practice I adopted with my old water smoker to keep the wood from flaming and easy clean up. I placed the roaster with the pork and marinade on the grill and cooked at 225 to 250 for 5 hours. Every hour, I checked on the pork and stirred it. The first 2 hours, the pork was simmering in the red chili. [p]After 5 hours, the red chili sauce reduced completely and I had very tender--falling apart carne adobadas. I removed the pork and heaped it on a large platter for serving discarding the remaining chili sauce and fat on the bottom of the roaster. (there was not much left) Serve it with shredded lettuce (or cabbage), sliced onions, radishes, sour cream, avacados, flour tortillas, and beer. Another typical side dishe would be frijoles. I made enough to serve 10 - 12 people. My boys loved it and I have plenty of leftovers. I wish I had a digital camera because I think all of you would have been very pleased with the turnout. Even the roaster cleaned up without too much work![p]This is a classic recipe traditionally done in the oven. I'm very pleased with the smokey results and how the BGE took a common recipe and really kicked it up to a new level of taste and texture. Hmmm, what should I try next?[p]BTW, my first cook was the Thanksgiving Turkey. It was okay. I have learned alot from all of you since then. Thanks so much! [p]I'll post the recipe in the next few days if you still want it. However, I need to get to work now. See Ya! Peggy [p]

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Peggy,
    WoW. That sounds great. I look forward to the recipe and will try it.[p]Thank you for sharing,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    thumbsup.jpg
    <p />Peggy,[p]Way to go! I, too, look forward to the recipe.[p]Congrats[p]Puj
  • Big Murth
    Options
    Peggy,
    Sounds great. I'm especially interested in how you make your sauce, exactly. Here in New Mexico, the traditional red chile sauce is made from dried New Mexican chiles, which are the big ones that have been left on the plant to turn red/ripe, and then dried. Some simple and basic ingredients go with it, and a simple cooking process follows. Let me know if you want the recipe, if you have access to the whole dried red chiles in your grocer/locale.
    Gracias Amiga,
    Big Murth

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Big Murth, How about both, you and Peggy, post your recipes for us all? :) Based on your pork adobo recipe I bet it would be great and all could possibly benefit from it. Heres hoping that you guys can post them, and have a merry xmas.
    later, ron.

• Puj,[p]Try marinating pork or chicken in the Adobo recipe in the link below. I frequently cook two whole chickens marinated in the Adobo, cut in halves. One chicken I under cook slightly, vacuum seal and freeze. The other we have for dinner. When we eat the frozen chicken, I thaw it in the frig and then cook in ceramic at around 350 degrees until done. Good stuff!
    [ul][li]Adobo Marinade[/ul]
  • Peggy
    Options
    Big Murth,
    Hi there! I'll post the recipes within the next few days while I'm on vacation. Is there an easy way to post recipes? Remember I am brand new to this site and the BGE! [p]I do use dried chiles for the sauce. We had leftovers tonight for dinner and it was still really good. I impressed myself which does not happen too often (too self critical of my cooking). WOW, the BGE is really terrific.

• Big Murth
    Options
    ChefRD,
    Yes, I will post a solid recipe for making a New Mexican red chile sauce....from scratch (or powder if only avail.)--I'm still in the stage of a little tweaking on the original, which I want to work on in the next couple of days, before I offer up the final version---which can be useful for a lot of different cooks. It actually shouldn't be too bad,even coming from this gringo!!
    Feliz Navidad
    Big Murth

• Big Murth
    Options
    Peggy,
    Have a great vacation, and of course...Happy Holidaze!!
    Yes, please share your stuff on the carne, and congratulations on your initial successes on the Egg.
    Big Murth
    p.s. Per ChefRD's recommendation, I will also submit my recipe for a basic red chile sauce, universal for all kinds of stuff. I'll put it in the "Submitted Recipes" section, which is where you can put yours too, as it helps everyone access it more easily later.

• Big Murth
    Options
    Mardi,
    Wow, good stuff!! Not to split hairs, but I think there's a difference between adobo sauce(s), adobado sauce, and the dish we know here as carne adovada---as mentioned earlier, which is derived strictly from the New Mexican (aka Anaheim)chile, which is the larger variety commonly used for chile rellenos (stuffed with cheese, and breaded, for example)--different tastes, and sometimes different application---it's all good, huh! Thanks for sharing the rub and marinade, I've just printed it out!!
    Big Murth

• Birdman
    Options
    Peggy,
    Is this the recipe from page 380 of the Bayless book, which he calls "Chili-Glazed Country Ribs"? It sounds great (and I've tried many recipes from that book, but not on the Egg).

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Mardi,[p]... and another yummy recipe is added to my collection! Thanks Mardi, I'll place it in the "queue" for future preparation and consumption.[p]Puj
  • Peggy
    Options
    Birdman,
    Hi There. Yes this is the basic recipe only X 4 or 5. I have tried it both with bone in country sytle ribs (in the oven) and with boneless country style ribs (in the BGE). However, I adopted a few variations from his other book "Authentic Mexican, Regional cooking from the heart of Mexico". On page 254. (1)toast the chiles in 3 tablespoons of lard versus in a dry skillet. The author suggest that brings out a deeper flavor and it is not as easy to burn the chiles. (2) substitute 1 cup of OJ versus beef broth (3) I did not strain the red chile.