Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how to cook whole duck in Big Green Egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Want to slow cook whole duck and sauce later.

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    richard,
    I do duck all the time but not low and slo. Want info?

• Dave
    Dave Posts: 163
    Options
    JJ,[p]Yes please, info! My wife wants me to cook a duck for Christmas!!!![p]Thanks,[p]Dave

• Citizen Q
    Options
    richard,
    I do duck often, but I prefer it cooked in the 325-350 range. The crisp fatty pieces of skin are my favorite part of any bird, especialy duck, and low & slow turns the skin to flavorless, chewy, wet leather. Poulry absorbs the smoke flavor of a wood fire very well and the meat itself is lean so slow smoking doesn't have that much added benefit.
    I like the beer butt method: on a sitter over a can of beer. Use a turkey sitter though, the duck will fit just fine and a chicken sitter doesn't fit over the can. Give the bird a generous rub of whatever you like and set it either in a sturdy drip pan or a foil drip pan over firebricks or a pizza stone. Cook at 325-350 and take it up to 165 internal, let the bird rest for 8-10 minutes before carving, the internal temp will come up to 170-175 without over-cooking this way.
    Good Luck and Good Q

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    Thanks for posting your advice for others to learn from as well..[p]Wess

• MrTGT
    MrTGT Posts: 7
    Options
    Oh My god I just bought my 1st duck ever, My daughter just read that is leaner than Chicken and wanted me to try it out on the EGG. I was under the impression it was very fatty. Thanks for the temperature guide..Steve Raichlen says in the Barbecue Bible "there is no better way to cook duck than on a grill".....cant wait
    Thanks again

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    MrTGT,
    Actually, a duck has quite a bit of fat. The skin has quite a thick layer of fat underneath. Sometimes I will poke holes in the outside layer of the skin with a fork to help render some of the fat out. A duck cooked whole bastes itself really nicely. The fat is actually what makes a duck REAL good :)[p]Enjoy. And remember...Duck is a delicacy!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ