Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole ham On the Big Egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning on a whole fresh ham approx. 13lbs. should I cook same as a "butt"?

Comments

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Mike A,[p]I brined a bone-in fresh ham half for T-Day. Ham was put in the brine for 3 days, and cooked at 325°F. It took 25 to 30 minutes per pound. The meat close to one side of the bone did not cook to temp, but that represented maybe 10% of the ham.[p]Hope this helps,
    Puj

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Mike A,[p]You need to tell us what you're after in the end - pulled pork or sliced ham. Most hams have cooking or reheating directions on the label. I have read here some who took a ham and cooked it to 190-200 deg internal then pulled it and some who have just reheated the ham to add smoke smokey taste, in which case it needs to only be heated (many hams are fully cooked and only need to be reheated to the temp on the label.[p]Tim
  • Buckeye Bill
    Options
    Mike A,[p]I have done an 18 pound fresh ham and used the principle of 15 - 20 minutes per pound as a guide. I cooked at about 325 and found that it was closer to the 15 min per pound. The results were the best ham I have ever had. It was not pulled pork, but rather the consistency of ham with a wonderful smoked flavor.[p]Hope this helps.[p]Buckeye Bill
  • Buckeye Bill
    Options
    Puj,[p]Did you cook indirect? When I did an 18 pound ham it was done in just over 4.5 hours at 325. My ham hit an internal temp of 170 and was moist and tasted great. I had not problems, other than running out of leftovers too soon.[p]It is curious how different people have different experiences.[p]Buckeye Bill
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Buckeye Bill,[p]Yes, the cook was indirect and in the small Egg. The airflow may have been too restricted throughout the Egg eventhough the dome temp was constant. The end result was still quite good.[p]Puj