Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WHOLE RIBEYE COOK QUESTION

Options
Shelby
Shelby Posts: 803
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For a dinner party this coming weekend, I'll be doing a whole, boneless rib-eye, in the 10-12 pound range. While I've cooked many before in the oven and last year on a Weber, I've yet to do so on the egg.
Here's my thinking: indirect with inverted plate setter, meat on grill over a drip pan at no more than 350* dome, shooting for medium rare in the 135-140 internal range. But the time per pound has me stumped. [p]What are suggested time/temps/methods?[p]Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments

• Brian
    Brian Posts: 73
    Options
    Shelby,
    I have not tried it yet but I am thinking about doing the same also. I am going to marinate the roast and then heat MR. Egg to about 800 degrees and sear the meat. Turn the heat down to about 325 and slow cook it to about 130 degrees internal. I hope this works well.[p]Brian

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    S11_14_9918_41_04.jpg
    <p />brian, your thoughts are very close to the method used on a 'Drunk-And-Dirty' tenderloin. Because I was worried abount not being able to get the temp back down, I seared all the sides on the stove and then put it on the egg.[p]Please post your results. [p]Gfw :~}[p]

[ul][li]Drunk-And-Dirty[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    brian,[p]You will find that searing the meat at 800 deg and then tring to get the dome temp down to 325 will not be fast or easy. I would rethink the searing part. [p]Tim[p]
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Tim M,[p]How long should I plan to cook per pound?
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    prime3.jpg
    <p />Shelby,[p]"How long should I plan to cook per pound?"[p]It's been awhile since I did the last one. It went about 3 hrs at 350 deg and it was a 7-8 lbs 3 bone. Yours is bigger so it will take longer but I am not sure on times per lb. I would only guess at 4 hr at 350 deg. Longer still at 325 deg. [p]Tim
  • Below is my "thank you" posting to the people at bbqsearch.com who helped me with my first prime rib. Maybe it can help with yours. Also, you might want to check the recent archives at that site to read all the good information I received. Here it is:[p]Last week I asked for advice regarding prime rib and I just wanted to say thanks again to all who contributed. You guys provided me with information that proved to be correct, and let me produce a prime rib which came out excellent. Read on to hear what I did and what I'd do differently for next time. [p]I chose a 9 pound, four bone-in prime rib, and decided to go with the grated horseradish rub which I put on the meat the night before. I put it in the fridge using a foil baking pan and covered with foil so the rub would stay on well. The next day all I had to do was take it out and place the pan in the smoker. I planned on five hours of cooking time, but it only took 3 1/4 hours to reach 125 degrees internally cooking at 225-250 degrees using applewood the whole way through. After taking it out, covering in foil and letting rest, it ended up at 131 degrees. Sliced it up about 3 hours later and it was still warm. Seemed like I had lots of medium done meat and the ends were medium well. Not liking bloody meat, this was a good thing for me. Everything was very tender, moist, and very tasty. The rub was awesome and I wouldn't hesitate to use it agian.[p]If I were to do it again, I'd pull it out of the smoker a little earlier, like 120 degrees, and then place it in the oven with high heat. This would be to achieve just a tad rarer middle section and firm up the crust. My crust was soggy and came off easily when slicing. If I could do these two things next time, I'll be happy agian. All in all, I think my first one came out pretty good.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    brian, good justification to have two BGEs.