Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Double Stacked Baby Backs

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
To get more slabs in the egg I can put the rib rack on the plate setter and then more ribs over that on my raised grid contraption. The question I have is, this will put the ribs very close to the plate setter which will be radiating much heat. Will the ribs be getting more heat than they should? Especially when I use the masters Backyard Championship Ribs recipe which calls for 325 degrees (which by the way is a fantastic recipe).

Comments

• Zee,[p]You didn't mention how long the recipe stated. Half way through cook reverse the slabs.[p]Mike
  • Mike in Abita, they go on for about 90 minutes, then pull them, slap em with honey and apple juice wrapped in foil, then egg em for one more hour.
  • Zee,
    Put top slab on bottom at 45 min. [p]Mike

• Craig
    Craig Posts: 8
    I picked up my Egg on Friday and cooked this rib recipe on Saturday. I thought they were good, but not great. This was my first time ever cooking ribs, but I thought the ribs were still a little tough and a little fatty. I picked up fresh ribs from Kroger in Atlanta (4.99lbs) so I think they were good ribs and I used a rub from the Egg store when I picked up my Egg. I thought I followed the recipe directions correctly, (remove membrane, times and tempatures, etc.). But I'm not discouraged as I've only spent limited time reviewing the posts here and I'm certain to learn much. And fortunately every weekend will now give me a chance to try soemthing different.

• mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Zee,[p]If Whiz can do this, I'd say you can do about anything to ribs.[p]
    20racks.jpg

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Craig,[p]To get some good ribs, you need to have them on for at least 5 -6 hours at about 225 - 250 degrees indirect. You can put them on direct after about 5 hours & sauce & flip them every few minutes for about 1/2 hour if you want.[p]Keep trying!! :)
  • Craig
    Craig Posts: 8
    AlaskanC,
    Thanks for the tip. Low and slow was the next thing I was going to try, which surprised me that the recipe that was in the book that came with the Egg cooked the ribs in 2.5 hours.

• AlaskanC
    craig,[p]Yeah - I tried that too....yick!! Try the low & slow, and try spritzing the ribs with apple cider every 1/2 hour after the first hour & 1/2. It gives impatient people like me something to do while waiting (plus it tastes good!) :)
  • AlaskanC,[p]I have been known to mix 50% apple juice, 25% orange juice and 25% soy when in an oriental mood or 50/50 apple/orange when seeking a sweet flavor. I start basting after 3 hours. Don't open BGE until 3 hours into cook. Did some BB a few weeks ago and used the dry seasoning for char sui pork as a rub. Great change of flavors.
  • DSCN1605.jpg
    <p />Zee,
    Did you have the place setter legs up with a drip pan on it?
    Ross

• AlaskanC
    I don't think I could make it for 3 hours without peeking!! I've thought about overnighting ribs - like start them at midnight and then pull them off at 7am - just to see what they would be like if you didn't bug 'em during the cook.[p]I doubt I will ever have that kind of restraint, but its good to have goals. :)
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Craig,[p]Cooking by time and temp doesn't work very well. Every cook and every piece of meat is a little different. You'll need to learn to touch and look at the meat to determine when it's done. With bigger cuts the internal temp is important too. [p]The recipe says "Test the ribs by inserting a toothpick to determine whether they are tender." If they weren't tender you should have cooked them a little longer. [p]Enjoy your egg.
    [ul][li]Backyard Championship Ribs[/ul]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    Craig,
    the rule that used to float around this forum was to cook the ribs til you think they are done, then cook them another hour. its pretty good advice til youve cooked ribs a dozen or so times and realy know what to look for.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ross in Ventura, yes on the legs up and drip pan.