Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Veggie Lasagne - you don't miss the meat

Options
Smokin' Lady
Smokin' Lady Posts: 158
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been making this veggie lasagne in the oven for years, and just got around to egging it today. It's so full of good veggies that no one realizes there's no meat in it.
This is the first step, softening the veggies in a Dutch oven.VegLasagne1.jpg
This is the second step, adding the rest of the sauce ingredients.VegLasagne2.jpg
This is after it's all put together and baked for just over an hour.VegLasagne3.jpg
This is just before the first bite - yum! Perfect on the dreary, rainy day we had today in Ontario.VegLasagne4.jpg
Anyone want me to post the recipe, or do you all have your own favorite lasagne recipes already?

Comments

• Smokin' Lady,
    By all means post it. Looks great!

• Smokin' Lady
    Options
    Here's the recipe - it's a little bit of work, but most worthwhile things are, right?[p]9-12 lasagne noodles, whatever you need to cover your pan with 3 layers (cooked as directed, I haven't tried using the oven-ready type yet)
    10 oz. pkg frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and drained
    (could really use two packages if you like spinach)
    1/4 vegetable or olive oil
    2-3 large carrots, thinly sliced in rings
    2-3 celery stalks, chopped
    1 chopped onion
    2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    14 oz. can tomato sauce
    28 oz. can diced tomatoes
    2 tsp. white sugar
    3/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    1/2 tsp. ground cloves
    2 tsp. dried oregano or 2 tbsp. fresh chopped
    2 cups cottage cheese
    1 cup Parmesan cheese (fresh grated is best)
    2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated[p]I started out with an inverted plate setter (legs up). When egg reached 300 deg. I put the Dutch oven on with the oil in it. When it reached 350 deg. I added the carrots, celery, onions and garlic, and cooked for 10 minutes, stirring a couple of times. Then added the rest of ingredients, EXCEPT for the noodles, spinach, and cheeses. Let the sauce simmer at around 325 deg. for about 30 minutes, until thickened some. At this point I took the sauce off and flipped the plate setter over (don't forget your gloves!) and put a pizza stone on top. For a lasagna pan I used a 12 3/4"x 10 3/8" aluminum foil pan. Grease or cooking spray it. Line pan with cooked lasagne noodles. Place on a baking sheet to make it easier to transport to the egg. To assemble, add layers to the pan in the following order, using 1/3 of the tomato sauce, 1/2 Parm. cheese, 1/2 spinach, 1/2 cottage cheese, noodles. Repeat. Top with the last 1/3 of the tomato sauce and all of the mozzarella cheese. Bake on the egg at around 325 deg. for approx. 1 hour 15 minutes, or until mozzarella is melted and it's bubbling nicely. Let set for 15 minutes before serving. Have fun!