Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Speakling of Grid Extender

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Are they worth it? Does it give you that much room? Is it easy to access the meat under the extender, to flip it so to say? Is it better to make your own. Hope it's not too early for a barrage of questions.

Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Wardster,
    It is smaller than the main grid, but very handy. I like it for making a very quick indirect setup, with a drip pan on the main grid. It is nicely elevated several inches above the drip pan. [p]If you use it for two layers of cooking (which I haven't), it is very easily pulled off, as it just rests on the main grid.[p]Not to early for questions! I have a big ol' cup o coffee on this rainy morning. [p]cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    20001221041718_small.jpg
    <p />Wardster, I'm looking for it purely as a raised grid. Currently I use the bottoom part of the jerky rack in the picture. I do a variety of thing like thick pork chops in the 350-400 range and merely prefer to have them a little farther from the fire - my wife doesn't like the 'black parts'! :~}

• Wardster
    Options
    Gfw,
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............ black parts.........[p]Thanks

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Wardster, that's 'wife speak' for the slightly overdone edges. I normally drop mine down off the raised grid for the last few minutes - I kind of like the 'back parts' [p]Have a great day :~}

• Wardster
    Options
    Gfw,
    I'm a big fan of black parts and can't understand why some stay away from them. That's where all the flavor is!!! My previous post was a little Simpsons humor.
    I'm deciding on what to cook this weekend now.
    A great one to you too!

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Wardster
    Options
    Gfw,
    I'm a big fan of black parts and can't understand why some stay away from them. That's where all the flavor is!!! My previous post was a little Simpsons humor.
    I'm deciding on what to cook this weekend now.
    A great one to you too!

Apollo Beach, FL
  • bdavidson
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I use mine the same way. I line a baking pan with aluminum foil and attach the grid extender directly to the lip of the pan. That way you can carry the grid, meat, drip pan and water to and from the egg in one unit. Very handy. I rarely have a need to stack meats.
    bd

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Mornin' Brad.
    Yeah. It clips nicely onto a standard oven broil pan, and can be handled as a "unit" like you mention.[p]Have a great one!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • bdavidson
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Doing another turkey as a favor for another friend of mind. Did one on Thanksgiving morning at 0600 for a friend, now word has gotten around. I think I'll have to start charging for the bd smoking service. Grill extender works well for this type of thing.[p]