Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

anybody use red oak planks on there bge

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i was just curious. i saw them in a catalogue but never seen them mentioned on the bge forum. i have maple alder and cedar of course. but not sure what you would use red oak planks for. maybe there good for everything . im not sure:):)

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    jason upton ,[p] Decking.. Actually they might be good with Tri-Tips. That is if you can get tri-tips in Vermint..[p]
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    jason upton ,
    Not knowing your catalogue... make sure your planks are not "pre-finished" - red oak is okay; wax, urethane, etc. is not.[p]I've used red oak; it's okay but not something I'd go out of my way to get. Think hickory at quarter-strength.[p]HTH
    Ken

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    jason upton ,[p]I can think of one reason red oak could be a problem. If it gets wet, there is a fungus that will grow in the pores. The fungus smells really bad, and I can't imagine it would go well with food.[p]gdenby
  • Elder Ward
    Options
    jason upton ,[p]Here in southern California, where the famous Santa Maria Tri Tip got its birth, they prefer nothing but Red Oak. Now if you are from back east where Hickory is King, it will seem a little off flavor but it really grows on you. Seeem to be better with Beef than Pork, as long as it is not treated with any thing you should be fine. [p]Carl Ward