Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Old School Eggin

BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
while at eggtoberfest i decided to replace my old ceramic top. ok here is the story.. two weeks after i got my egg 6 years ago i had some friends over to grill some steaks. he went outside and took the cover off my brand new egg and low and behold he picked the top off when he took the cover off and droped it on the ground... [p]
so i never got the chance to try old school eggin. you know
Eggtoberfest07002-2.jpg[p]Eggtoberfest07001-2.jpg
and as i was setting up to do a tater tot casserole (i know LR would like that) and bananas foster tonight, i thought why not. so are there any pointers i need to know about. in the second photo what you can't see is my cusion in case i pull the blond trick and open it without watching my new top.[p]so any advice is welcomed with a open mind. pretty much one of the last things i got to learn about this grill/smoker.[p][p]thanks[p][p]happy eggin
tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    BENTE,
    That is how I EGGed for a very long time. I always did mine from the side to keep the smoke blowing away from me and it seemed easier to see the crack.[p]You'll develop a sense for how much space you need for each temperature pretty quickly.[p]It was great seeing you this weekend.

• BENTE
    Bobby-Q,
    great seeing you also thanks for helping my friends out they have already cooked twice on their egg and i suspect that they are going to fire them up again tonight.[p]thanks for the tip i will change it now.[p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE,
    I did mine that way for a couple of years until someone said I need to get a cast iron Daisy top. WHAT!!! BBQ Galore didn't mention anything about that when I bought my Egg. But now I know why they didn't.[p]Anyway, it really isn't that difficult to control temps with it cocked to the side like that. Just takes a bit of practice.[p]I'm sure they didn't have many options 3,000 years ago and kept a nation alive and growing. [p]Thanks for reminding me of how Little I knew back in the early days LOL[p]Spring "There's Always Gotta Be A Better Way" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• BENTE
    Spring Chicken,
    yea i figured out the most important thing when i went out to change direction.....USE A GLOVE!!!![p]
    happy eggin
    t "glad to have met the Spring's at the fest" b

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Bobby-Q,[p]YUP---I've used everything from folded foil, chaffing dish sterno tops (the ones that slide open work great) to of course the original slide top )now known as a daisy wheel. In fact I still have a couple of the old slide tops, which I prefer over the newer daisy wheel..

• Spring Chicken,said:
    "I did mine that way for a couple of years until someone said I need to get a cast iron Daisy top. WHAT!!! BBQ Galore didn't mention anything about that when I bought my Egg. But now I know why they didn't."[p]That's where I got my first one and same thing here only I doubled my slow start with a misunderstanding from my brother that was discribing how you could cook and cook on the things and only use a couple of handfuls of charcoal. Well now I know he was really referring to the ash that is in the bottom of the cooker afterwards. I figured that one out myself but didn't find out about a daisy top till I found this forum.

• Greendriver,
    It's obvious that "every Big Green Egg Dealer" is NOT a "Big Green Egg Dealer." They just have Eggs so they can tell potential customers that "Gas grills have come a LONG way from when people cooked on THESE things." I can just see the salesman now as he points to the obvious flaws in ancient technology as opposed to the latest technology in order to sell a $4,000 stainless rig.[p]I think Smitty The Smoker is going to set the trend for REAL Big Green Egg dealers. He actually cares.[p]Personally, I'm okay with the rest of the world not knowing about the Big Green Egg. I like it that we are a small, very enthusiastic and talented group (cult if you will) who wouldn't cook on anything else.[p]Most of us still have to buy from "give a crap about the Egg" dealers, but thanks to this Forum, the accumulated knowledge about ceramic cooking is shared to anyone who wants it. It makes a big difference in the learning curve. And that's the truth.[p]Spring "Wishing I Was An Exclusive Big Green Egg Dealer" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Spring Chicken,[p] Here Here.. but let's keep the sales rolling.. With sales comes more Eggtoberfest :)[p]
    Celtic "Wishing I was a dealer too" Wolf.[p]

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    BENTE,
    I never went that old school route. My favorite top is the metal slider top on my first large. Used to be two choices, slider or daisy wheel. I like the slider better than the combo but I've learned to use both.