Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Simple and painless pork loin question.

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Egg-chefs,
I know 160 degrees is what "they" say is the proper internal temp of pork.
What do you, fellow eggers, cook pork to??
I,m cooking one saturday, indirect at a dome temp of 300-310 degrees.
Looking for done, but not dry.
Soaking in brine now.
Thanks to all....[p]GaryJ

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    GaryJ,
    Many sources say pork nasties are dead at 137. The lean loin cuts are best cooked to 145-155. I like 150. Just a hint of blush pink in the center. If you have guests who would shudder at any hint of pink in their pork, go to 160.[p]Beers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,
    Thanks for your input. I'll try about 156-158 degrees and see what happens.
    An ice cold Grolsch back at ya.[p]GaryJ

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Nature Boy,
    How long of a cook time...approx on tenderloins?
    For some strange reason, it's one of the things I haven't cooked yet love them!

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    GaryJ,[p]Nature Boy is right on the money here. We do lots of pork and never beyond 145* internal.[p]Here's a recent article from the local paper about cooking pork.[p]K~G

[ul][li]The new pork[/ul]
  • KennyG,
    Great article!
    Between it, you, and NB's replies i'm convinced to try a lower internal temp.
    Thanks for the input.
    Egg-On....[p]GaryJ

• Nature Boy
    Shelby,
    I think this thread is geared toward the "loin" cut as opposed to the tenderloin. But I like my TL's cooked direct at 300-350, flipping every 10 minutes. They usually take 25-40 minutes to reach 145-150. TimM's site has some good info and pictures. It is one of his favorite cooks.[p]They are one of the most satisfying and consistently good meals![p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    KennyG,
    Great article. Thanks![p]I find it very interesting how strong peoples' minds can be when it comes to food. Interesting to hear the chef in that article talking about how he has to overcook the pork for the many people that just can't get past the pink. No matter what you tell them, they want it chalk white. It is ingrained in their brains that they will get violently ill if they eat pink pork.[p]On a related front, I hear the Qers who do catering talking about how many folks won't even touch the smoked chicken that is pink. Even though it is explained to them that it is cooked past the temp of oven chicken, and that the smoke causes the pinkness....they still won't touch it.[p]Psychology and food hang-ups is a very interesting topic![p]Thanks again for the article!
    great weekend to ya
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    KennyG,[p]Thanks for the article. It'll still be an uphill battle with many. Hope they like eating shoe leather.[p]Puj