Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Preparing to do my first smoked turkey

Options
David
David Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I just bought a large egg, and just received all the eggcessories by UPS today, and also since my boss is cutting me a little slack because my birthday is today . . I'm gonna dive in and go for it. I'm gonna go down and a get a fresh turkey breast, and do the following things:[p]1) I'm gonna wrap the new Polder with thick aluminum foil, as suggested by Tim M.[p]2) I'm going to inject the turkey breast with sweet cooking sherry, as suggested by the folks at Barbeque's Galore.[p]3) Next, I'll fill up to the fire ring with hardwood lump.[p]4) After I light it up with a fire-starter stick, I'l take the plate setter and place it inverted on top of the fire ring, and then lay the main grid on top of the feet.[p]5) Then, I'll line the drip pan with aluminum foil and set the V-Rack inside it. [p]6) Then, I'll rub olive oil on the breast, set it in the V-Rack, insert the Polder, and roast about 325 - 350*. [p]7) And I'll use a couple a blocks of cherry wood for the smoke, again, as suggested by the folks at Barbeque's Galore.[p]At least that's the plan. I've still got to run to the store, so if it looks like I'm all wet, please feel free to speak up.

Comments

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    David,[p]Unless you are big fan of smoked flavor you may want to do this one without the cherry wood. You will still get a dececnt smoke flavor from the lump, especially on poultry. If it isn't enough for you, add the cherry wood next time. If you decide to use the cherry wood soak it for at least 20 minutes prior to throwing it on the grill.[p]That cherry wood is awfully good with smoked salmon.[p]Also since you are new keep an eye on your temp. Try to err on the side of the temp being too low. You'll be able to raise the temp quicker and easier than you can lower it.[p]The be prepared turkey breast is a real treat off the Egg! Be sure to let us know how it turned out for you.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• ColoradoCook
    Options
    David,[p]Wow, do I remember being wet. I can tell you this much, the Egg is very forgiving, I do always practice my dishes first before having any company over.[p]Your set up looks good. I would only go with one chunk of wood, poultry products absorb a lot of smoke and many people don't like too much in their turkey. I've done two turkeys. The first one I got my fire going to 250 or so (good set of burning coals) and laid my soaked pecan chips in there. I then put my set up in (plate setter, etc.) and my turkey in and over the next 45 to 60 minutes stabililized the Egg at 350. This method created a nicely smoked turkey, meat absorbs smoke better when it's real cold and starts out in a lower temp Egg. If you put the Turkey in at 350, smoke penetration will be minimized.[p]The 2nd time I put my Egg in at 350 and there was a definite difference in smoke penetration, it was very good turkey, just not smokey.[p]Definitely pull it off at 160 to 165 and always check your temp in several spots.[p]Enjoy the best turkey you will ever have.[p]CC[p]P.S. Follow Tim M's website suggestion and you'll do good.

• David
    David Posts: 97
    Options
    ColoradoCook,[p]I'm going to take your suggestion about the 250, then crank it up to 350. Thanks for the input.[p]

• Jethro,[p]I sure will. Thanks for the tip about the cherry wood. I had 3 blocks of it soaking. I think I'll only use one.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    David,
    Only thing I'd suggest is to put the drip pan on the inverted plate setter, then the main grid.
    Otherwise, enjoy!
    And...Happy Birthday

• Big Murth
    Options
    Daviod,
    You've got all the right ideas....especially getting off work because it's your birthday! Have a great Day.
    Set-up sounds good. Personally, I like the wood flavor, and T-Day's bird I cooked, enjoyed a mix of maple and apple woods, at least a big fist full that had been soaking for about 12 hours or more. My only mistake was pulling it off a little on the high side @about 175. But no complaints from the eaters. You're on the right track----you're an Eggman!! Kookookachoo!!