Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggin' Turkey Question

Cajun
Cajun Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
did a 9 1/2 lb Butterball this Thanksgiving. Indirect, agout 275 til the breast got to 180 degrees.[p]May have been a little too dry. Should it be cookin' at 350 degrees to 170 internal, or 180 internal, or should I keep to the 275 - 300 and go to 170 internal.[p]I am curious about the two variables here, dome temp and internal breast temp, taken together for less dryness.[p]thanks in advance for your response[p]Cajun

Comments

• Cajun,
    Cooked mine @ 250* and pulled bird off when breast meat got between 160 & 165 degrees. Nice and juicy...

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Cajun,
    The internal temp is what you should be most concerned with. At 180, I think you went way to high. That should've been the thigh temp. Breast temp should be in the 160-165 range. That's where I pulled mine and it was perfect.
    The dome temp will only affect how long the bird/whatever cooks.

• MikeS., I second that! The idea of 180° is "perpetrated" by the USDA so the turkey producers use that. 160 to 165 produces a nice juicy bird and I'm walking/talking proof that I haven't died nor gotten sick by not saluting the USDA!

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    turkey2.jpg
    <p />Cajun,[p]I do mine at 350 deg indirect over a couple firebricks and a drip pan. I pull them when the breast is about 165. I like mine less smokey and going to 350 from 275 reduces it a little plus it gives a nice brown skin (olive oil coat).[p]Tim
  • Cajun
    Tim M,[p]Thanks for the info. I think I left it on too long[p]Cajun
  • Cajun
    Shelby,[p]Thanks for the reply. Looks like I left it on too long. the lower temp (250) may not have been a problem[p]Cajun
  • Cajun
    MikeS.,[p]It seems to be a concensus. I left it on too long[p]Thanks [p]Cajun
  • Cajun
    kat,[p]I appreciate the reply. The taste was still awesome and the smoke ring was adequate. I am going to do another between now and Christmas (just to make sure, he he)[p]Thanks again[p]Cajun
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Cajun,[p]I think so too. The FDA hangs with their outdated but very safe idea that the breast should be cooked to 180 deg (I think that someone posted that figure from the FDA) but that is rediculous and your bird will actually suck the gravy off the potatoes. [p]A neat site is this one:
    http://www.volkenterprises.com/products/pop_up.html[p]It shows the temps that those little pop-up thermometers pop at. The website shows a nice brown turkey breast with a blue one poped out. The blue pops at 163 deg for a 3-7 lb breast ---- not 170, 175 or 180. If you cook it over 300 deg, it will rise a couple degees after its pulled and resting. Good luck on the next ones - I am sure you will see a BIG difference.[p]Tim

[ul][li]Pop-up thermos[/ul]
  • Cajun
    Tim M,[p]The flavor was too good not to try again. Now that I won't be makin' a gravy suckin' bird, things may be a little juicier[p]thanks again[p]Cajun