Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Camping with my egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
campsite2.jpg
<p />Bought a new popup camper recently and cant wait to go camping when it gets warmer. Thinking of buying a small or Medium BGE to take with us. Our Large is just too much to carry. [p]My only concern is someone taking it when we are away. [p]Any campers here with suggestion on securing my egg while not at camp.[p]Tom

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    EggsCamp.jpg
    <p />TomF,
    Nice setup. A small or medium would be a great thing to take along with you. I bring my large and small when I go car camping. Gotta eat good.[p]As far as worrying about it getting ripped off, I would not be concerned. Outdoorsy camping people are generally very cool, and don't go around ripping stuff off. And people generally stay away from each others camps. If someone wants to steal your your cooker...or even your pop-up camper...they could anyway. IMO.[p]Good luck with BBQ camping. It is a great way to go when you are in full relaxation mode. Eating great food, and leaving your meal cooking for several hours while being out of camp.[p]cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Nature Boy, cool pix! Anybody who packs his small and his large down to the stream in winter for camping out gets a sincere salute from this dude!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Unless there is a boat involved, TomF, I'm not much of a camper, but I did take our mini to Indy when we went down for Formula 1 in Sept. We had excellent food at our KOA site and I was pretty sure that the BGE was not readily recognizable as something worth stealing. (I am missing a Wustof knife from that weekend however...). JCA
  • J Appledog,[p]Well if it was my large I would not be concerned. Too heavy. However a small or a mini would be easily taken.
    I have found that people that camp dont usually mess with other peoples things. However there are allways a few bad apples. I was hopeing that someone had a good idea of how to conceal it. [p]Another good question is how to transport my egg no matter what size safely.[p]Tom

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Hell Yeah!!! I've seen many posts that prompt me to call someone 'hardcore', but that one takes the cake!!! I have a large, too big for camping. Had a small, it's perfect. You brought two eggs! I'm still thinking about how I'm going to load an egg on my RV, when I buy one 10 yrs from now....
    Sweet Pic!!!!!

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Pug
    Pug Posts: 57
    Options
    TomF,
    Now that is the way to go. I dream of doing the same thing myself. I need both the camper and the small egg though. I think the other folks are right. You probably don't have to worry about loosing your egg to thieves while camping. However, a good bicycle lock though the hitch of the camper and band on your egg should do the trick. Keep us updated with pics and have fun.[p]Steve

• TomF,[p]TomF....I had the same worries when I made my "tailgate table" which fits into the bedliner of my truck. It's used for camping, tailgate parties, etc. I broke it in 3 weeks ago at a NE Patriots game. What I did was buy 10' of plactis covered cable/wire at our local hardware store. I then ran this through the hinge of my small BGE, and through a spot under my truck, and locked it with a master lock. There is always the saying "where there is a will there is a way" but I had no worries at the Pat's game. I'll try to post pic's tonight of how my setup works.

• Trout Bum
    Options
    TomF,
    If you want to keep the eggs from getting ripped off, just keep em fired up. Man I droll thinking about all that food.
    B D

• TomF,[p]If all else fails, you could buy a hat and some of thos stick on plactic eyes and "dress it up" while you are away......check your email for pics of my setup.....works like a charm!!

• Nature Boy, you can also have a good time with your Glock if any of those outdoorsy camping folks get any ideas about your EGGS. Now don't go getting mean and actually shoot to kill, a simple shot to one kneecap with a hollowpoint will change their minds. Lets keep the sport clean. Plus, the bears like-um better if they keep struggling a little. Did I mention, I'm from the South.:)

• Big Murth
    Options
    TomF,
    Nature Boy seems to have a handle on camping with his Egg(s)
    --he seems to get two out in the sticks according to his photos, but then I'll bet he probably has some buddies in the National Guard on weekend maneuvers wheel 'em in with their Hummers or drop something out of a helicopter.
    I too, have a pop-up ('89 Coleman Newport still going strong)...and I can't see how one could haul anything bigger than a mini, unless you can talk your wife into leaving lots of kid toys and changes of clothes at home, to make more room in your tow vehicle, for a bigger one like a small or medium (maybe the small would work). For safety's sake, I transport my mini in the original box with the styrofoam inserts to keep it from banging around. Whatever you do, be prepared for your popularity in the woods, to soar....once everyone around you starts to smell the goodness of the Egg in camp! Big Murth
    p.s. Don't forget to bring "Uncle Charlie" with you, in case some undesirables try to crash your Eggtivities!

• Big Murth,[p]Thanks for the advice. Right now I think Im gonna look at a medium. I want to be able to use it elsewhere also.[p]By the way, ever use the forum at www.popuptimes.com?[p]Tom

• Remember way back when I used to comment in amazement about
    having to have more than one (and now I am one with two.)
    All I can say is HOW COME THE SNOW"S STILL ON THE SMALL???
    KK

• Nature Boy
    Options
    KK (Kathy Kerr),
    This is in the morning. An overnight pork shoulder was on the large. Nothing overnight on junior. The snow was not on the small for long, as we did some breakfast sausages, then put on a pot of beans to go with the lunchtime pulled pork from the large! After the pulled pork, I put ribs on the large for dinner. Then after dinner, a big brisket to go overnight again. The large was cooking straight for 3 days. The small had duties, but not constant duties![p]Sure is a good way to camp![p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Kevin D
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I wanna be like you![p]Kevin D.

• Big Murth
    Options
    TomF,
    Happy to share, Tom....and thanks for the pop-up website address, I'll check it out!
    Big Murth

• TomF,
    I'd sure like to go camping with your big green egg!!
    How old is he?

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Kevin D.,
    hehe.
    Load her up and go get some meat.
    Hit the hills and get ready to eat. [p]Life is grand.
    Beers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com