Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Larger wheels for Egg Nest

Options
Willie
Willie Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sure hope some one will help me, moving our egg is very difficult because of the small casters. I would like to get something to make this easier for me. I think the stem size is 1/2 inch, does that sound right. Thanks for any replies. Willie

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Willie,[p]Thanks for the reminder, I meant to order some for my Eggs 6 months ago. Here is the link. I was looking at the softer rubber ones and wanted to get two that were locking.[p]The selection is huge. Pay attention to the diameter of the stems, my large and small look to be different sizes.[p]Maybe others that have ordered will chime in with recommendations.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Casters[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Willie,
    3/8" I believe. I changed mine out about a year ago, and still pleased with the results.
    100_0684.jpg
    Easy rollin"
    100_0687.jpg

[ul][li]caster city page link[/ul]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Willie,
    one friendly bit of advice when adding larger wheels...your BGE is top heavy when in a nest anyway and lifting it even higher off the ground can exacerbate that issue. The trick is to learn to always pull your BGE - never push it. By pulling if the wheels hit an obstruction it will fall toward you instead of away from you. Tipped over, broken eggs are not a pretty sight!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    RRP,
    Very good advise Ron.
    Larry

• Willie,[p]I got these at a fastener supply. If you look at the large egg on the left you'll see that the nest is different than the one beside it. That one is about ten years old and the nests were different then. I opened the holes up to accept a 7/8" bolt. I think it would be easier with the newer style. [p]Steve[p]Picture001.jpg[p]Picture003.jpg
  • Peter Creasey
    Options
    >> 3/8" I believe. I changed mine out about a year ago, and still pleased with the results. <<[p]FlaMike, Could you please tell us exactly which caster model you got for your large BGE?[p]Was it a problem propping up the nest with the BGE still inserted? Or did you have to somehow remove the BGE?[p]Thanks![p]. . . . Pete

• GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    check out my profile and you will see what I bought from lowe's. I really like them and they are rated to 275 lbs (I think...maybe 250).
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Peter Creasey,
    You've got mail.

• Peter Creasey
    Options
    >> You've got mail. <<[p]FlaMike, I am receiving a good bit of mail, but, sorry to say, nothing from you.[p]. . . Pete