Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BB Rib Question

Options
Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is it possible to cook ribs "falling off the bone" or at least "coming easy off the bone" without foiling them?[p]I cooked 3 racks of babybacks( in the rib rack) for 5.1/2 hours at 250 (with platesetter and drip pan with apple juice). i sauced 'em with sweet baby rays after 4.1/2 hrs and that was the only time I opened the dome. During the cook, the BBs didn't pull away fom the bone like the spareribs do.[p] They were good, but I've done better and it was when I foiled 'em doing a 3-1-1.
I would like to skip the foiling and if I could just keep them on longer and get the same effect, I'd prefer to do it that way. I'm concerned that I might leave them too long and dry them out. [p]Maybe prep them the night before and let them sit in the Q sauce overnight?

Comments

• Flashback Bob,[p]I have always foiled them to achieve this with baby backs. It might help to pull the membrane off the bottom if you didn't do this prior to cooking. [p]Love the "name". I am just starting to master the flashback but had a nasty one tonight.[p]The Don
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Flashback Bob,[p]I too have not been able to get "falling off the bone" unless I foil ribs during the 4th hour. I don't really want them to fall off, but I like them to come away easily without having to knaw it away. Car Wash Mike prefers not to foil at all, and he somehow achieves that same goal anyway. I think it's a matter of experience. I have altered the schedule somewhat: For me, 2-.5-1.5 for baby backs and 3-.75-.75 for spares and St Louis ribs, foiling with apple juice and apple cider vinegar during the middle time frame, has worked best. My family has said that each time I do ribs, they're better and better. Rib Utopia someday, huh? Now if I only knew what to do to perfect my Boston Butts. Happy Egging.
  • Beerco
    Beerco Posts: 25
    Options
    Flashback Bob,[p]5.5 hours sounds a bit long for BB's. I'm still learning ribs myself but it seems like BB's are somewhat leaner than Spares and therefore a little more touchey when it comes to cook time: i.e. if you over do them, they can dry out.[p]I prefer the flavor of spares and luckily, they seem somewhat more forgiving as far as timing goes. [p]For the last several rib cooks I've cut the thin ends off after 3 to 4 hours just prior to foiling for a taste test to compare to the foiled stuff. So far with out fail, everyone has prefered the foiled ribs to the un-foiled.[p]When foiling BTW, I use the drip pan with whatver juices are still left in there with a variation of the Alton Brown rib braizing liquid all capped off with a foil tent. After foiling, I pour off the liquid, separate the fat and reduce what's left as a glaze for the finish.
  • mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Options
    beerco,[p]I tried this "pre egg" when I was attempting to make ribs in an oven and then move to a gas grill. Alton started his in the oven foiled with liquid in the pouch, which is really brasing, for 2+ hrs at 225, then I put them on the grill. When they come out of the foil in the oven they are so wet and I hate ribs like that, thats why I put them on the grill and added sauce. We tried this a few times and then I found this gift from heaven, the Big Green Egg (angels singing in background and light parting the clouds above)[p]I'm sure foiling after they've been on the egg is different than starting in the oven, I just don't like that wet texture. I've had family that made country style ribs in the oven covered in BBQ sauce since I was a kid, and I've always hated that wet soggy texture, usually combined with a bunch of squishy fat that makes it so you can't tell the meat from the fat. I don't order ribs of any kind in restaurants for this reason, until I've seen them on someone else's plate, I don't order them.[p]On my last egg cooks with BB's, I've been going over 5 hrs using Car Wash Mike's method and I can't imagine you not getting good ribs like this. These are the first thing I cooked, the day after I bought my egg Labor Day and that was before I heard of Car Wash Mike, they've only gotten better since.[p]1stbabybacks.jpg</a>