Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help..my butts are cooling off...

BlueRidge
BlueRidge Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good Morning.[p]I put about 14 pounds of butt on last night. This is my third pulled pork and is the first time I have seen these types of temperature fluctuations.[p]The dome temp has been "stable" from 200 to 240 degrees. Meat has been doing exactly as expected until the platue was reached.[p]About an hour ago the internal temp read 181. Dome spot on at 230. The internal temp dropped to 179 and is now 177.[p]Questions:
1. Is this important?
2. Could this be secondary to poulder placement?
3. I have plenty of time for the cook, but should I increase the dome temp counter?
4. Should I find something better to do with my mental energy? ie go get another cup of coffee and chill out :>
Thanks for any thoughts...[p]Jay

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    BlueRidge,
    they do that sometimes, probably most times. dont worry. just keep the dome temp up at 230 or even a little higher wont hurt

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    BlueRidge,[p]Relax, that's normal. Go for more coffee and chill out coffee.gif[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BlueRidge,
    Sorry...Number 3 should read[p]... increase the dome temp to counter drop in meat temperature?...

• BlueRidge,
    Wow!
    This forum is like being in a cooking classroom where you can just raise your hand, ask your question and get the feedback you need![p]Thanks, coffee's on!

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    BlueRidge,
    That's not unusual for the temp to drop during the plateu. I normally keep the dome temp at 250 for butt cooks, just to be sure of a grate temp of at least 220. -RP

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    BlueRidge,[p]Move away from the egg... OK just after you bump the dome to 250.[p]There is a great chance you are in a second plateau. It will not last as long as the first.[p]People that watch too much are the ones that see the drop. Most of us go about our business and never see the drop. It is normal and it's do to the collagen and fat breaking down and dragging the internal heat with it. [p]You got that dome temp up to 250.. Good!! Go watch some football.[p][p]
  • BlueRidge,
    Chemically, the energy (heat) in the butt is being depleted because it is going to break down the collagen. In the whole butt the energy is being used up faster than it is being replaced thus the temp drop. As soon as the collagen breaks down that draw on the energy will decrease and the input will exceed the draw down and the temp will start going back up.

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Morro Bay Rich,
    Dang!!!!

• thirdeye
    Morro Bay Rich,[p]What role, if any, does the additional moisture created following the conversion play into this heat transfer?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    thirdeye,[p] It transfers to the liquid and the liquid is flowing out. Sound like that isn't the case, but it is.. Not sure if it was Alton Brown or Emeril I heard say that. The drop is usually a degree to two and doesn't last long. You really need to be watching it closely to see it happen.[p][p] [p]
  • thirdeye
    Celtic Wolf,[p]So you are saying that following the collagen to gelatin reaction the liquids and moisture are more fluid (for lack of a better term). That makes sense .... and I know it happens in braising. What's weird is once those protein fibers give up the moisture, your meat will begin to get dry, even when it is swimming in broth.[p]Some of the sous vide guys I've been reading try to find that magic temperature (around 150°) where the conversion takes place, but cooking has all but stopped. Then they stay there for hours and hours.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~