Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vertical vs. V-Racked Turkey

Options
Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing an 18lb. bird tomorrow morning, and just got a BGE turkey vertical roaster......or should I use a V-rack, instead? Plan on using an inverted plate setter for an indirect cook at 325 or so. Love your input, folks.....and have a great Holiday! Thanks!
Big Murth

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Big Murth,
    Personally, I use the v-rack cooking indirect at 350*. Using 15 min per pd as a guide to reach the proper internal temp. Happy T-Day.

• Big Murth,
    We did a practice bird on the vertical roaster and we're using one today going by a 10-12 pounds per minute method. We have a 20 pound bird that we brined (it's on the counter now!)
    Susan
    p.s. there was ice on the BGE cover this am!

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    JJ,[p]I agree with you -- I like the way you jumped around the internal temp issue. You wrote, "using 15 min per pd as a guide to reach the proper internal temp" You sound like you could be a politician.[p]Happy Thanksgiving.[p]Tim[p]

• Big Murth
    Options
    Susan Spuhler,
    Thanks for all who got back to me--including Kermit who emailed me with a hypothetical disaster scenario, to wit: 18lbs. of hot bird teetering inside the Egg, maybe kissing the top of the dome or the the Egg thermometer....well, you get the picture! I'll get brave on my next one, that will be smaller and the inaugural/practice brine bird (Momma wouldn't let me brine this one, since I screwed up some pork chops a few months ago---shame!). Thanks again for your response.......everyone have a Great Day with you and yours!! Big Murth

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Big Murth,
    If you go with the inverted plate setter and vertical roaster, I think you may not be able to close the dome. In which case, it leaves you with the option of the v-rack or simply placing the guest of honor on the grill. I'm going with the last option. Inverted plate setter, drip pan on the setter, grill, then bird. That's what's currently on my egg right now.[p]

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Susan Spuhler,[p]WOW! ICE on the cover! And here I'm trying to decide on if I wear shorts today!