Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt-Fat Up or Down?

Options
Jason
Jason Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I am going to cook my second boston butt this weekend on my lg bge. The first one turned out great! I used a rub, injected it and cooked it at about 250-260 with the indirect method(plate setter legs up) with the fat side down. [p]Before I cooked the first one I had read a convincing post about how the fat down method was better but I have seen where alot of people cook with the fat side up.
Has anyone ever done it both ways? Which way is better?[p]Thanks in advance.[p]Jason

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Jason,
    i have always done them fat side up.
    DSCN0083.jpg[p]from what i understand brisket is done fat side down. but i'm not a brisket eggspert. i have not had a bad boston butt yet.[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Jason,
    I always do mine fat side down. There is enough fat already in the butt. I'm low-n-slowen to try to get the fat out. Why baste it in more fat?

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Jason,[p]I tried them both ways and really couldn't tell any difference. I am a fan of bark, so I trim the fat and get a good usable bark on that side as well. I like to chop the bark up and mix it in with the pulled meat. Well, at least the bark I don't eat while I'm pulling the butts.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Jason,[p] Technically you can do them either way; however, lets put some logic to it. Fat really does not allow the spices of your rubs to penetrate. If you put fat side up you are putting what spices you have to the heat. It gets burned off and washed away with the fat dripping from the cooking process. Furthermore you have all that fat flowing through the meat. [p] Rub up the meat put the fat to the heat (down). As that fat breaks down all it does is go into the drip pan.The spices on the meat stay on the meat. The fat give you that much more of a barrier between the heat and the meat.[p]Brisket or Pork.. Fat Down...[p]Hmmm I guess I should add this to my Pulled Pork FAQ :)[p]