Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking spatchcocked chicken: How To?

Options
Eager Egger
Eager Egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Found a Recipe for "Dead Simple Spatchcocked Chicken". Wondered if everyone cooks this direct on the grill or indirect using plate setter?

Comments

• BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    EagerEgger,[p]I usually go direct with a grid extender and a medium amount of lump (not all the way up the firebox.[p]I also trim as much excess skin and fat as I can.[p]Platesetter with drip pan works as well.[p]
    hth[p]Big T

• Eager Egger
    Options
    Big T, Thanks. I do not have a grid extender (yet) so I may do this one indirect. Sure hate to get it too close and dry it out.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    EagerEgger,
    I doubt you can dry it out. If you have some fire bricks, you could raise a second grid. Heck, if you cook at 350, you could probably get away with wood blocks holding up a second grid. But if you were to cook it direct on the main grid, you could use a slightly lower temp like 350 and turn the chicken a time or two to check to see if anything is burning.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Eager Egger
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, Good suggestions. I think I have changed my mind after reading several recipes on your site and others. I'll go direct @ 350 dome, use less lump and watch the temp in the breast.

• Susan Egglaine
    Options
    Eageregger,
    I cooked 3 chickens this past weekend. 350 degrees, direct heat
    done in 1 hour, inside moist, crispy skin Ready to try a turkey!

• Grill Goddess
    Options
    EagerEgger,[p]Hey Mike. Under the FAQ section on Naked Whiz, explained in detail is how to make a raised grid with long stainless bolts. Russ did this on ours. We end up using a raised grid almost as often as the platesetter.[p]Spatchcock chicken has become one of our favorite fast & easy meals on the egg. You can throw corn or other veggies around at the same time. The chicken comes out unbelievably moist. You just have to be careful about the amount of smoke, depending on your preference, since chicken absorbs smoke so well.[p]On the raised grid, we usually cook for approx 45 minutes at a dome temp of 350.[p]Talk to you soon.[p]Carol