Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How are you going to do that T-day bird?

Trout Bum
Trout Bum Posts: 343
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm getting a fresh 12-14 lb. turkey. Now I have to decide how to cook it.
Should it be vertical or horizontal? Beer butt or not, etc., etc.
What are the rest of you doing?
B D

Comments

• Big Daddy,
    Check out the thread below "Suggestions for 25lb Turkey?"
    The collective input gave me some great ideas.
    Happy Cookin' -K

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Big Daddy,
    We have the same size turkeys. Since you are my neighbor, here are the details: brine for 24 hours; rub for under skin, on skin and in cavity; rest in frig for 24 more hours uncovered; on bird sitter or v-rack, each over a drip pan, smoke over applewood chips as temp rises from 160-325, cook at 325 deg until breast is 170-175 (or thigh is 160); rest for 20-30 minutes; eat!
    Enjoy,
    Marvin

• Marvin,_The purpose of resting the turkey after brining is?
  • Taste Bud,
    I belive that letting the bird set uncovered is to let the skin dry a bit.
    This allows the skin to brown better.
    There may be other reasons that I don't know about.[p]GaryJ

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Big Daddy,
    I'll inject mine with a mixture of brooth/butter/seasonings. Season under the skin, rub outside with light coating of oil and season it as well; let sit overnight.[p]Indirect @ 350* with drip pan on plate setter, turkey laying flat on the grill, figuring on 12 mins per pound.

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Taste Bud,
    Letting it sit, uncovered, dries out the skin and allows for increased crispness. Enjoy, Marvin

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Big Daddy,[p]I'm planning a 12-14 lb bird stuffed under the skin with a mixture of herbs, diced celery, diced bacon, and diced onion. Cooked on a spantek vertical wire sitter over a foil lined drip pan with chopped onion, and chopped oranges with some wine (haven't decided on red or white). Smoke hard and early (160°F) using apple and level off at 250°F for the cook.[p]Spin
  • Big Daddy,[p]
    I'm doing an 11 pound, fresh bird from an amish market up the road. I'm thinking of doing that recipe J. Appledog did for a contest a while back. [p]C-B.