Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Righteous Chops

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did some thick loin chops last night...the kind with very little fat that often comes out like cardboard if even slightly overcooked. A brine works great for these, and I have been using Spice Cooks "Thick Grilled Pork Chop" recipe. Yesterday I wanted to try something new with the brine, and the results were fab.[p]1 cup water
1 cup apple juice
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 chopped stalk lemongrass
6 cloves of chopped fresh garlic
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
2 tbs pepper[p]I boiled the mixture to infuse the flavors, and chilled with Mike O's ice-in-a-ziplock technique. Brined the chops in a ziplock for 4 hours, then rinsed, patted dry, and coated with pepper/corriander/sage/onion powder (don't use any salt), and a layer of yellow mustard. Grilled them like steaks, and dwelled to an internal temp of 145-150.[p]They were juicy and the flavor was awesome all the way through.[p]Next time you have those super lean loin chops, give it a try. I think an overnight brine with the same mix would be good on a whole loin.[p]just some friday thoughts. Have a great one!
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Nature Boy,[p]What is Mike O's ice-in-a-ziplock technique??[p]KT

• KT,
    I do something similar (and cheaper) so as to not waste a ziplock bag and hang a glass handled measuring cup over the edge of the pot, fill with ice cubes and that greatly cuts the cooling time.

• Nature Boy
    kat,
    I used the same ziplock to brine the chops! No wasted bag. your measuring cup idea sounds like a good one. Ahhh! You have to wash the cup![p]Great weekend to you!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    KT,
    Just fill your ziplock up with ice cubes, and submerge in the hot brine. Swish if you wish. Refill with ice when melted, if the brine is not cool yet.
    Beers
    nB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,[p]Do you ever cut your own chops? That's what I do now. Just get yourself a pork loin roast (not a tenderloin), and cut it into chops as think as you want. I can usually get three or four big chops out of an average sized roast (1-20 lbs). It's cheaper this way, since chops are usually more expensive than roasts, and you can cut them as thick as you want.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Nature Boy,
    I just did some of them same chops with Mrs. Dogs Jamaican jerk..and I personally didnt think it penetrated the meat enough..let em soak for about 20 hours..however I`ve never used jerk before so it coulda been something I did or didnt do...will do as she recommends next time...cube them first and skewer..your right tho...they are some lean chops.[p]Wess

• Nature Boy,
    I gotcha and that makes sense, but I was literally talking about the use of the zip loc style itself. I'm spoiled as a year ago wifey hit on a Kroger 2 for 1 sale on 1 gallon storage bags and she had 15 coupons which they doubled the value so she ended up with 30 boxes of bags working out to .09 per box of 50! Armed with a supply then of 1,500 plastic bags I use those along with a twisty for all my marinading.

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    BLuesnBBQ,[p]I was going to post this until I read through the rest of the posts and saw that you had already done so. I usually can get (on sale) the whole loins for about $1.90 a pound around here. When I see that I usually get a couple. I cut it in half and freeze one whole for future use, thta gives me two good size loin roasts. Then the other one I generally cut into thick cut loin chops as you mention. What a treat to take a couple of those out and throw them on the egg. The thing I love about pork so much is that it really takes on the flavor of the spices or whatever you do to it. By itself its not that flavorful but it really takes spices and brining well so the flavor of your experimentations really come through.[p]Troy
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    NB,[p]I like what I read. These chops I'll definitely have to do.[p]Thanks for the post,
    Puj

• Nature Boy
    Good idea, Steve and Troy, to cut your own. And I agree about the brining and seasonigs really enhancing the flavor of the pork. Not only do you taste the seasonings all the way through, but what is normally not a very flavorful cut seems to take on an amplified pork flavor. That was not a great sentence. [p]Beers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com