Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Apple Lady's Cake - quick question

Options
Smokin' Lady
Smokin' Lady Posts: 158
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm just about to try the Apple Lady's Apple Cake submitted by Wise One. For the set up, it says to put the pan on firebricks or a stone, doesn't mention indirect, so can the stone sit right on the grill? Seems like 400 might be a little high to do that, but I don't know. Also, I don't have a rectangular cast iron pan, so was going to do it in my rectangular steel pan. Anyone who's done this, please let me know if I can go direct. Thanks.

Comments

• edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    Smokin' Lady,
    I have not made the cake but I can't imagine baking anything direct. The mention of the pizza stone also indicates indirect cooking.

• Smokin' Lady
    Options
    edbro, yes, when I went to put the stone on I noticed that it covers pretty much the whole grill on my medium, so I thought I was safe to go that way. Anyways, I got thinking that I'm sure the Wise One wouldn't forget to put an important detail like that in the recipe, so I should have just trusted it! But since it's my first try and company's coming, I didn't want to ruin it. I'm sure it will be fine. Thanks for confirming my thoughts for me.

• edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    Smokin' Lady,
    Have you used this stone before? If it cover most of the grill then you will have insufficient airflow and/or run the risk of frying your gasket. Do you have a platsetter? The platsetter will give you indirect. Do you have an elevated grid? Would the stone fit on the elevated grid? That would be better.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Smokin' Lady, it's only going to be indirect if you've got the pan on a stone. But you can do it by just putting the stone directly on the grill or you can use a platesetter underneath. I have done it both ways. It really surprises people when you pull this apple torte off the grill.

• Smokin' Lady
    Options
    edbro, yes, I have used the stone before, but usually on top of the plate setter for pizza. I was told it was the one for the medium egg. It doesn't cover the whole grill, but there is only about a 1/2" or less of space around the fire ring. Next time I will use the plate setter as well, because the bottom of my cake did burn, probably also because of the steel pan I used. Guess I should have tried my round cast iron skillet or round ceramic pan. Live and learn. But the top part of the cake that I scraped off was very tasty.