Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on using two grill racks for wings

Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know some of you place wings between two seperate grill racks. This enables you to flip them all at once. Great idea, do you have to secured the grills to each other? If not, what do you use to grab the hot grill and flip? What prevents the wings from sliding out one side? Basic question, but I we have to get back to normal...
Thanks

Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Wardster,
    there have been several discussions about securing them together..and it was the general concensus that securing them was the way to go..wouldnt do much good otherwise..and the different ways of securing were as diverse as cooking ribs..so I would say anyway you see fit to secure the 2 grids together that wont melt or burn would be fine..still may want to watch for hot spots and rotate the whole assembly if necessary[p]Wess

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    S19991212074020.jpg
    <p />Wardster, I use two racks for both jerky and wings - never attached them, just put on a piar of garden gloves and did the flip - works great :~}

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Wardster,
    If you use (and I may be trying it too, soon), GFW's method, I'd have to think you'd want to go heavy on the apron action, and light on the vodka...if you get my drift.
    Probably a little bit of atheleticism involved in a quick flip while you're trying to keep the wings from flying out from between the two grids, and keeping any late-cook saucing from ending up on your shirt, IMHO. Anyway, appreciate your inquiry, because I've only so far done, just a single layer of wings on one rack/grid. Big Murth

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Big Murth, on this I'm in agreement - did wings on Tuesday with one rack - made enough for lunch and a late afternoon snack. Flipping was easy, preasure from both sides and the wings don't even move. But then I have another advantage - no vodka, maybe just a little beer or red wine...[p]I still do the flip occasionally when doing jerky unless I'm doing it with my multi-rack. Have a great day!

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Wardster,
    I made a wing rack out of two weber 14" grills,two chrome key rings and two 1/4" x 2" stainless steel carriage bolts,washers and wing nuts.I put the two small chrome key rings on one side of the grills...they act like hinges...fill the grills up with wings...about forty and put the carriage bolts and wing nuts on the other side...this is even JJ mint julep proof.
    Larry

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Wardster,I know this won`t answer your question really but have you tryed deep frying wings?......outstanding..[p]but if you have to grill em, flipping the whole grate isn`t really necessary if you feel the process is too much for you.[p]When I want to flip mine, I open the lid, using my ash tool (homemade) I lift out the entire grate with the wings on it, close the lid, rest the grate on a secure surface and flip all the wings seperatly without the Egg going crazy on you and without burning your hands.....it works very well for me.....the whole process takes less than 2 minutes, and remember, NO FLARE-UPS..[p]Mop

• hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    I ditto this, only I only use one ring. It works well.
  • Wardster,[p]My method is pretty easy. I use two 16" grills. I place the bottom rack on two small fire brick pieces placed on opposite sides of the main surface. I place all the wings on the grill. (It will hold 40-50 drumettes) When it's time to flip, i lay the other grill on top of the chicken. Having the 1st grill sitting on top of the brick pieces makes it easy to get my gloved fingers underneath. I've found that you really don't have to press that hard to hold the drumettes in place. I turn slowly, turning faster increases centrifugal and would increase the chances of a rogue wing going for your apron or face.

• Gfw,
    Yup, a lot of the technique employed, and resulting success, could stem from one's fortifying fluids. The vodka may be necessary from time to time, after reading certain super-rabid postings from unhappy Campers out here on the Forum...then again, the vino y cerveza can flow pretty strong too, and before you know it and all of a sudden..............whoops!! Big Murth
    p.s. Thanks for your ongoing and "on-site" fountain of good info/knowledge to refer to. Your wings last time were the bomb, loved the bag method for minimal mess/fuss...another Eggcess!! My wife tells me to back away from the heat a bit, though. To me, More is More.