Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt - final hours (minutes ???) - Quick Question !!!

Walter
Walter Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
8lb. Mr. Piggy has been on for 21 hours now at around 210* dome temp. Meat temp at 176* - How high can I crank the dome temp to safely bring it to completion?
Thanks,
Walter

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Walter,
    275 to 300. Have fun!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Walter
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks... 290* at the moment... just trying to keep it stable. I can't remember - how long do those last 20* usually take?
    Thanks,
    Walter

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Walter,
    Prolly an hour or so. Ya never know though.
    Enjoy the sammiches.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Walter
    Nature Boy,
    Sauce is simmerin', slaw is chillin', piggy's almost done... even the rain today won't ruin our party!
    Walter

• Walter
    Nature Boy,
    I'll see what I can do :) Looks like the fire is on its last legs... If I can't get the Butt to 200* how close is close enough?
    Walter

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    walter,[p]I am not sure of exact temps, but I do know 190 is ok. If it has a bone in and you feel that it would easily pull out it is done regardless of temp.[p]If needed finish up this last bit in the oven, no one will ever know the difference - if you don't tell.[p]Jethro
  • Walter
    Jethro,
    194* on the meat... 250* on the dome and dropping. It has a bone, but I don't want to open the Egg and check. If the dome keeps dropping and the meat doesn't change I'll just take it off and wrap it up for an hour or so.
    Thanks,
    Walter

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    walter,[p]I'd bet your done at 194, no need to keep cookin.[p]Jethro
  • walter, those few extra degrees can take nearly all day. I have never rushed it, except for increasing Egg temp, and mine have always been supreme. Don't cut corners and pull the meat before it gets to the magic 200.

• walter, if you lift one end of your table and jar the coals, usually that will allow good coals to fall into the hot ones and keep your temp going. If you pull it out too early, your reputation will be shot and you will never be able to get another date. :) Just kidding, but wrapping in foil for an hour or maybe a little less has always done me good. Let us know how it turned out.

• Walter
    K.O.C.,
    Wish I had a table to tilt... didn't even try to shake the Egg in the wheeled stand - good idea though. Pulled it off at 197 and there were barely enough coals left to roast a marshmallow. Wrapped in foil and pulled about a third of it 30 minutes later - Mmmmm good. Put the rest in a cooler wrapped in foil and towels. Came home from Hockey practice and pulled the rest... sampling as I went - even better than what we had before practice.[p]Then the wife tried mixing the pork with some plain white rice and a little butter - turned out great. Since the MNF party was postponed, we'll be eating some GOOOOOOOD leftovers for quite a few days :)[p]Walter

• BobbyG
    BobbyG Posts: 67
    Walter,
    I did a Butt a couple of weeks ago (my first one). It turned out great, but I took it off too early for the meat to actually "pull". Do you have a minute to tell me your process?? One thing I see is that it's a 20+hour process. How hard was it to keep the BGE at the 210 mark on the thermometer. Thanks a bunch, Bob.