Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many butts on the large

Options
uncbbq
uncbbq Posts: 165
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need to cook three butts for a party Sunday. Can I fit three 7 lb. butts on one level (large BGE)? I don't have a grid extender, but I could probably rig something up. I'd rather put them on the same level, but eyeballing it, it looks really close. Anyone had success with three on a large?
Thanks

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    uncbbq, I have put 5 8-lb butts on a large. Three on the grill and then two on top of those. They cooked fine.

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    uncbbq,
    well what an interesting question LOL!!!
    DSCN0336.jpg[p]reason i say that i took this picture this morning!! they are about 6 1/2 lbs apiece at the begining i got three more on the egg right now.....[p]
    you shouldn't have to make the second teir until you get to 4 big butts......[p]
    like this
    DSCN0083.jpg[p]DSCN0084.jpg
    just use a drip pan!![p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    uncbbq,
    We cook 4 butts at once all the time on a large. We do
    2 on the grate and 2 on a grill extender ( with plate setter legs up and dry drip pan)... leave room between the "top 2" for the thermometer to go between and not stab them. It works great.

Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    BENTE,
    Party at Terry's house! I especially like the way you season your gasket too. Could this be the answer to not melting the gaskets?LOL.

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Big'un,
    not sure on the gasket but feel pretty sure i will walk away from eggtoberfest with more info than i came with. just finalized the whole eggtoberfest meet and greet and festday with my mom down there, and everthing is right on schedule. will be in ATL with newborn early friday..[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb