Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

12 hour Butt?

DynaGreaseball
DynaGreaseball Posts: 361
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put a little 5.5 lb boston butt on this morning at 10:00 am. I've cooked all day at 250°...sometimes over, but never under. In another hour it will be 12 hours!!! Could that be right? It's up to 187° now, and not moving very fast. Any suggestions other than "be patient"?

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    DynaGreaseball,
    no advice you seem to got it with the "Be Patient" attitude.[p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DynaGreaseball,[p]Yeah, that sounds about right. 250° measured at the dome will be 220° or 225° at the grate (actual cooking temp). [p]Since your finish temp will be 195° or 200° internal it will take a long time to get there because your ratio of cooking temp to finish temp is very near 1:1.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye,[p]Would the fact that I brined it for 24 hours yesterday cause it to cook a little longer as well?
  • thirdeye
    DynaGreaseball,[p]No, I think it's the other way around. Brining causes the cells to retain moisture, moisture conducts heat, so cook time should be less.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye,
    Well, it's up to 192°. I guess it'll be ok. I sure didn't expect that. Supper came and went..lol. Good pintos and collards greens though.[p]thanks

• thirdeye
    DSC02609a.jpg
    <p />DynaGreaseball,[p]Hopefully you made some cornbread to go with the beans & greens, and there is some left over. In 2 or 3 hours it will make a great snack with some fresh pulled butt.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    DynaGreaseball,
    2 to 2.5 hours a pound. you are right on schedule (unfortunately, according to your dinner plans)

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike,[p]woops! I thought it was supposed to be 1-1/2 to 2 hours per pound. No wonder.[p]Maybe I better go back to Microwave Oven technology. NOT![p]It made it to 200° at 10:00pm and it looks and smells wonderful.[p]Thanks for the help.
  • thirdeye,[p]That's almost exactly what I had for supper tonight, exept for the cornbread, and except for the pulled pork. No way I'm going to bed tonight before I pull and eat some of it. It smells so good!
  • thirdeye,[p]Hopefully good things come in small packages. It's might little, but it's mighty.[p]
    DSCN3029.jpg

• DynaGreaseball,
    did ya try wiggling the bone? some butts will pull way before 200.[p]well... how is it?

• BENTE
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    hey man this is a family forum!!! LOL[p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]It was fantastic! You're right. The bone wiggled right outa there. It did finally get to 200°, and I posted a pic down below.[p]Thanks
  • firstovernightbutts-012.jpg
    <p />BENTE,
    if she comes out clean, she's done!

• BENTE
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    you know i do not have one picture of finished PP on the egg. i guess i will change that in the morning i got 18lbs on now.[p]OTOH it is still a family forum!! [p]still too dayamn funny... [p]maybe too much of my good friend JIM BEAM!!! oh well at least i'm laughing...[p][p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    DynaGreaseball,
    i have taken them off at as low as 185, and they still pull apart. not the best, but no sense waiting til midnight or eating cheerios.[p]your 'bad' barbecue will be better than the best you get at a restaurant

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante