Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I've decided that holding my butt in a cooler is a required step

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had my egg for a few years, and done many a pulled pork butt. Saw a tip a while back about holding the cooked butt whole, wrapped in foil and in a cooler if the intention is not to eat it immediately.[p]Well, the last two times I've done a butt I've done this step, and it makes a HUGE difference, imo. Yesterday, I even held the butt in the cooler in foil and a towel for about five or six hours before removing, pulling and serving. The meat was still very hot, so no foot safety concern for me, but the meat seems to gain a much improved texture after holding it for so long.[p]The only thing I have found to be lost is that the crispy bark layer becomes steamed, or perhaps it is just exposed to the meat juices as they redistribute. Doesn't bother me any at all.[p]Seriously, from now on I am always going to hold that butt for a while in a cooler after egging. It is so much better...

Comments

• GirlyEgg
    Options
    Ben,
    I have to agree with you... Even though I'm a "butt novice", I agree about the "resting" step. I held the last ones I did for about 7 hours, double wrapped in heavy duty foil, then wrapped in a towel and then placed in a cooler. When I took the meat out to pull, it was still so hot, I burned my finger tips on the bone!

• dbishop
    Options
    Ben,
    I agree and it does the same for brisket. The other plus of doing this is it gives you a 4-5 hour window to get it ready. You can't lose
    DB

• Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Ben,
    That sounds like I might have to try that. I have done a lot of butts but never waited. My question is, does it seem easier to pull. Or you say about the same. [p]Dolphine1.jpg
    Pork Butt Mike[p]PS: Yes the Dolphines are on a roll. Don't rub it in. LOL[p]

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Pork Butt Mike,
    It pulls real easy Mike I just pulled mine after a 2Hr wrap in the cooler. 17:30Hr. in the Egg.
    My Best,
    Ross

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Ben,
    I've got a picnic shoulder just starting to move out of the plateau stage and when it hits 195 I'll follow your lead with a rest in da coola. I can't wait to nibble off some edges before I foil!
    Clay

• Pork Butt Mike,[p]I think it was much easier to pull after resting in the cooler. Easy pulling + improved texture = Better pulled pork, imo!
  • Ben,[p]Like you, I figured out that butts held in foil, towel, and ice chest makes for a better butt! I have kept them as long as 6 hours and it was still great. I wouldn't dream of not keeping a butt foiled, toweled, and kept in a chest for at least two hours.