Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does Anyone Use a Pizza Screen?

Options
Bevo
Bevo Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen posts about putting pizza directly on the pizza stone, using parchment paper, and using some corn meal on the stone. Does anyone use a pizza screen?[p]If so, under what circumstances and how is a pizza screen superior or inferior to the other methods?[p]Thanks.
Bevo (Colin)

Comments

• edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    Bevo,
    A screen or parchment paper allow you to more easily get your pizza onto the stone without the sticking that sometimes happens with a peel if you don't use enough corn meal. Both work well but are not necessary.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    edbro,
    For the last year or so I've switched to the
    air bake pan. You can get it at Target or Walmart. I put the plate setter legs up, main grid on the legs, and an extended grid on the main one. The air bake pan browns the crust nicely. -RP

• edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    AZRP,
    No stone?

• AZRP
    Options
    edbro,
    Yep. -RP

• Pharmeggist
    Options
    Bevo,
    I haven't haven't ever used a pizza screen because I haven't seen the necessity. I use plate setter legs down with the pizza stone on top. I preheat the egg to 450 degrees for about 45 minutes and cook the pizza on the stone. I pre-cook the dough on the stone for 3 minutes with no sauce.... remove and sauce cheese and other toppings and return to egg to finish cooking takes about 10 additional minutes depending on the toppings I used. Try a few of the methods I am sure you are going to get a bunch and pick the one that gives you the results you like best.
    ~Pharmeggist
    P.S. My method has undergone extensive critical testing (My Wife) and has passed it so far ;=)

• Bambi
    Bambi Posts: 38
    Options
    AZRP,
    what's an "AIR BAKE PAN"?

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    Bevo, i do - easy to load & remove pizza and allows me to make one while the other is baking.
    no falling off the edge of the pizza stone during the placement stage

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    edbro,
    is the sticking problem just the corn meal? thought i had enough corn meal but? what is enough?

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• chzhed
    Options
    Bevo,[p]I use one to start the baking process, then when the crust is set after a couple of minutes I slide the pizza directly to the stone. The main reason I do it is that I can't stand cornmeal. There are always other methods, you just need to find what works best for you.

• Bevo,[p]I use a pizza screen and think it works great. I tried corn meal and still had trouble getting the pizza from the peel to the pizza stone. Whenever I tried to slide the pizza to the stone, it ended up sliding the toppings and creating lumps.[p]I have not tried to remove from the screen after cooking a few minutes but do think it is an excellent idea. [p]Also, I now spray PAM on the pizza screen before putting the dough on. That makes for a much easier clean up once the pizza is done. [p]BHD[p]
  • AZRP
    Options
    bambi,
    Its a thin round pan with a lot of little holes in it. -RP

• cbs
    cbs Posts: 99
    Options
    Bevo,[p]I use them. I like to cook thin crust pizzas (Reinhold's recipe for dough from his American Pie book) at 700+ degrees. I had trouble with the crusts cooking too quickly, and the pizza screens solved that perfectly. If I need to add a little "crunch" to the crust when the pizzas are done, I take the pizza off the screen and slide it directly on the stone for 10 seconds or so.[p]As someone else mentioned, we often have a lot of people over and have them make individual pizzas. They just make them on the screens and then I cook them in order.[p]Hook em

• What's a pizza screen?

• Buzz
    Buzz Posts: 63
    Options
    I use a screen on top of a plate setter and pizza stone.[p]It doesn't seem to make a lot of difference in the cook, but it sure makes it easier to carry the pizzas back & forth to the Egg.[p]It just saves trying to juggle them around with a pizza peel. Once in awhile, things go horribly wrong when Mr. Pizza is trying to do a mount or dismount from the stone via a pizza peel.
  • Bevo, Excuse my ignorance. What is a pizza screen?

• Bevo
    Bevo Posts: 179
    Options
    Dr. Jim,[p]It's a round "screen" that actually is more of a "weave" pattern as opposed to a "window screen" or "bacon spatter" screen material. It comes in the usual round pizza sizes, i.e. 10", 12", 14", etc. The pizza is placed on it rather than directly on the pizza stone. It is useful in several ways in that it is easier to place on and remove from the stone, and it allows a very slight cushion of air between the stone and the bottom of the pizza dough.[p]Some have said that they use the screen for just the first three or four minutes to get the bottom of the dough firmed up, and then place the pizza directly on the stone.[p]They are available at, among other places, any restaurant supply house. They're especially useful if you're making multiple pizzas one after the other.[p]Regards and Hook 'Em Horns vs. Rice tomorrow.[p]Bevo (Colin)

• Bevo, Thanks. I've seen them but I didn't know they were called "pizza screens."